Tour down to Gibralter July 2018

Want to hook up with like-minded folk? Anything from a cup o'tea at the Ace to trips abroad.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

NEMESI

Tour down to Gibralter July 2018

Postby NEMESI » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:24 pm

A early punt for any pointers that I might of missed or tips to aid a trouble free journey ..

I will be traveling from the South of England to Gib' July next year... meeting up with friends for a few scoops [5 days] then ride back.

BMW R1100s 02' ....

Via Folkstone.. used before found it easy peasy on/off...

fire away folks any tips much appreciated nothing considered obvious or silly.. I am all ears...

Thanks in anticipation ...

Cheers Steve... :D

popsky

Re: Tour down to Gibralter July 2018

Postby popsky » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:33 pm

Get yourself a Post Office platinum CreditCard, they don't charge you to use it and you'll get that days exchange rate, and if your going via the Autoroute then use that in the peage, just pop it in the toll booth, no pin required much easier than cash. The A75 from Claremont Ferrand is toll free apart from the Milliau bridge to nearly Beziers. Can't give any tips about Spain. Don't try to do too many miles per day especially if your on D roads which are the most scenic but a lot slower. Most of all have a great trip.
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:34 pm

Take a look at this thread for some useful advice on traveling abroad on your bike.

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

SP250

Postby SP250 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:54 pm

Only thing I can see not specifically listed on this thread, or the one Paul has linked to above is :-

Make sure your mobile is unlocked/allowed/works etc. for roaming in the countries you are visiting and you're on a contract or whatever which doesn't rip you off for use abroad.
I've just been upgraded (by EE) for all of Europe including eastern states and Ukraine - stops at Russia and Turkey, but all for no extra charge over the standard UK contract monthly cost.
Write down the emergency contact numbers of the English speaking breakdown services from your preferred provider for each country and keep them with your copied docs.
John M

Taz

Postby Taz » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:34 am

You won't be expecting any breakdowns but it might be worth doing an internet search before you leave of all the BMW dealers along your chosen route.
Taz

R1250RS

So when is this 'Old enough to know better' supposed to kick in?

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:35 am

...unless you have a BMW Navigator GPS, which will have all of the dealerships in there. Top tip on that though, it that also has all of the car only dealerships, so you might end up with a long and pointless detour unless you check on your 'phone first that it's a Motorrad dealership before you set off. I found this out for myself, the hard way... :wink:

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:11 pm

Hey Up, That is road trip endurance not a tour!! Impressive. I recommend military discipline and planning are needed for this adventure plus a will of steel to get back on to plan A if something interrupts. Hopefully not. Sounds exciting. Tell us more of your plans. I thought my previous Spanish Strolls were ambitious.

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Topcat

Postby Topcat » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:15 am

I think it's covered in Paul's thread but Euro breakdown cover is a must.

So glad I took it out for my bike on our Flash tours trip in June! I used RAC and took out the top level cover for about £80 covering the 6 days in France. This would give you the option of carrying on in a hire car if your bike can't be fixed so you could still see you mates.

Dave

Return to “Days Out”