Givi Topbox fitting

Any bike-related products/services you wish to recommend.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

rossyb

Givi Topbox fitting

Postby rossyb » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:10 pm

Hi folks - newbie to the forum here - have been enjoying reading up on my recent aquisition :)

I am hoping that someone might be able to help - my bike is a '00 reg model and I had hoped to be able to mount my Givi tobox on it for trips away - Imagine my shock and horror to find that the Givi mounting rails are only available for '02 model bikes onwards :cry: - my question therfore is what (if any) is the difference in the rear end of a pre '02 and post '02 model that prevents the rails from being fitted?

Any info will be thankfully recieved - or even if anyone knows of any other topbox gear that will fit my model :?:

Thanks in advance

Rossyb

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:32 pm

Welcome Rossyb,
Methinks they are incorrect - apart from brake upgrade (2001) and various suspension lengths for the SS and Boxer Cup models this model has little change since its inception.
Adam (adamski49) does top boxes, send him a PM and ask, I think his is a Givi box.

Lloyd

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:59 pm

Rossyb

As Lloyd says Givi have got it wrong. Mine's a 2000 model and it fits fine. Go ahead and order the '02 rack.

It doesn't quite have the same kudos as carbon wheels though :D

HTH

Adam
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:02 pm

...And given the problems experienced by Givi users I have spoken to, make sure you get the metal top plate (rather than plastic) and keep checking the rack for cracks at the point where the support bends upwards towards the top plate.

StephenB has parted company with his top box on several occaisions due to failures of the plastic top plate (combined no doubt with excessive loading/speed :wink: ) and StephenW has had problems with the rack frame cracking which he resolved by welding on strengthening plates. Perhaps you'll be OK as long as you're not called Stephen?

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:41 pm

Aaah, I think problems occur if you actually use the box to carry anything... I jest not. The rack instructions state a max carrying weight of 3.5kg and I'd guess the box alone is about that.

I use mine for carrying lightwight items like gloves and waterproofs and then as lockable storage for the lid etc when I arrive at my destination.

HTH

Adam :)
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

rossyb

Postby rossyb » Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:54 pm

A big helping of thanks folks :lol: you have made my day - at least now I know I can spoil the beautiful lines of my bike with an ugly carbuncle on the back & I don't mean the pillion :wink:

I shall get a set ordered ASAP.

Not too sure why people have been having problems with the plastic plate as I've had mine for over 10 years with the biggest box on a FZX750 Yam & Blackbird, generally totally ignoring both the loading recommendations and any speed restrictions (especially on the blackbird :twisted: ) without any sign of problems - now that's a cue for a disater if ever I've seen one!

Will keep you posted

Cheers

Ross

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:12 pm

Thats what we're here for .... apart from taking the Mick.. :D

Lloyd
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:20 am

Had mine on the bike 100'000 miles. Metal base plate.No problems at all.
Bailey.

Return to “Recommended products/services”