BMW Kit

Any bike-related products/services you wish to recommend.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Do you own any BMW kit?

Yes all my gear is BMW
3%
I own at least one item of BMW clothing
56%
Only my bike is BMW
42%

Total votes: 79

Dickie2679

BMW Kit

Postby Dickie2679 » Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:18 pm

I've bought a system 4 helmet, gloves, & boots. All the BMW kit seems to be excellent, I may buy a jacket soon as I need one to keep out the water, what does every one else use?
My local bike dealer is BMW, so not far to go to try stuff on :)

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:11 pm

Their stuff is very good if you can afford it, others do proper waterproof as well, but at a fraction of the cost. BM's sense of style can also be a little wayward at times :) Pay your money and take your choice - just make sure the armour is in the right place and will stay put. Got some BM trousers for my missus and the knee armour pressurises her so her legs go to sleep :(
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

Jason M

Re: BMW Kit

Postby Jason M » Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:34 pm

Dickie2679 wrote:I've bought a system 4 helmet, gloves, & boots. All the BMW kit seems to be excellent, I may buy a jacket soon as I need one to keep out the water, what does every one else use?
My local bike dealer is BMW, so not far to go to try stuff on :)

EVERYTHING else I've tried has been pretty useless in really determined weather. I bought some Prexport 'waterproofs' before going to the states and they were absolutely RUBBISH - got some Alpinestars 'waterproof' trousers - they are RUBBISH too. (Had some Shoei stuff before and that was OK)

Got a big 2nd hand size 56 blue BMW gore-tex jacket off e-bay for £20 to wear over my leathers - it's flippin marvelous. You usually get what you pay for, but a lot of riders are absolute fashion victims and won't wear anything with the wrong badge. If my Caberg helmet had an Arai sticker on then everyone would have one and they'd be £300 - and that's a fact :wink:

Jason

Bencmaster

Street guard jacket and their heated waistcoat.

Postby Bencmaster » Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:40 am

When I did the deal on my bike I was given 30% off their BMW kit, which brought the price into a more affordable bracket. As it was BVM Moto, and I trust their judgement (as in more than most but not entirely)..I allowed myself to be convinced into buying their Street guard jacket.

I then went straight off into a week of european rain. My wife had an electric vest. We were 100% dry..but I was riding an RT!!

My comments are:

Streetguard:

Early days but so far excellent. Not the warmest but a good compromise with being less bulky. As for waterproof, the Goretex is bonded to the outer and seems the best yet. The jacket, even with the liner out was over warm in the hot weather, but normally i wear their airflow jacket.

The trousers rode up, because I am tall.

If you are inclined to get say a 52 jacket and a 50 pair of trousers, be warned that the joining zip will not fit. You must have the matching sizes...which is stupid.

Sartorial fashion is not to everybody's taste, and relatively unimportant to me compared to function. But it looks typically functional and well cut.

Electric waistcoat.

Not a patch on my Chilli one. The controller is utter crap and seems to have no fine control. The cabli9ng aint much cop, where it fixes into the jacket. The first set we bought didn't work at all. All a bit tacky really.

julian

Postby julian » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:17 pm

I have an Airflow summer jacket and the waterproof gloves. Both highly recommended. I also wanted one of those skateboards BMW do.

My favourite piece of kit is a pair of Harley Davidson waterproof sallopettes bought at the Warrs HD sale for a bargain £100 (and that was with 65% discount :shock:). I initially hated them but they are very good quality, come with removable duvet as winter lining, and I look forward to torrential downpours.
BMW R1100S (Black)
Suzuki TL1000S (Red)

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:46 pm

I've found most BMW kit to be mostly good - but with flaws.

eg the Street guard jacket I have is very dry - but the collar design allows water to drip down the back of my neck when I do a shoulder check or visor clearing twist of the head - not nice.

I bought one of those "neoprene, paraffin insulated" inner tops - nice and warm, but because of the material it can bunch up under your jacket and get uncomfortable.

for the money I'd rather get Hein Gericke.
non quod, sed quomodo

crucial

Postby crucial » Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:00 pm

I've never used BMW kit but i can vouch for IXS. Their cheap stuff is, well..........cheap, but their more expensive is excellent.

My goretex jacket is still going strong after 50k miles it never leaks, is warm and comfy and I can vouch for the armour, after crashing in the wet (at 60mph) I slid down the road and the jacket was barely scuffed, I didn't have a mark on me. On the down side it cost the best part of £400 :shock: but I think it has been worth it. :)

keith750cc

Postby keith750cc » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:14 am

I bought some fantastic BMW Boxercup gloves from flea bay, like new and only £45, think they were about £95 in BMW, lovely soft kangaroo leather, they fit like er.......a glove... :wink: LOL
Suzuki GT750's

2007 Speed Triple

throttlemeister

Postby throttlemeister » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:37 am

I have a System 5 and their Savanna II jacket w/ GoreTex insert, and it is excellent. I rate their gear right up there with Rukka, only slightly cheaper. Another big plus for me is that BMW has short and long size next to regular, which is good since I need long. Most brands only carry normal sizes, or you end up in the same price ranges as BMW clothing.

Regarding waterproofing: If it ain't GoreTex, it ain't waterproof. The copycat membranes just don't work in heavy downpours.
Gijs

BMW R1100S | homepage | gallery
BMW K1200S 'tri-color ICBM' | ABS/ESA

cc mac

Postby cc mac » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:05 pm

I am on my second Sportintegral helmet.Very comfy, quiet and fairly light but I have had to modify mine with a home made deflector which stops incoming vent air from blowing straight into my eyes. I have a degree in product design and the BMW design shouldn't have got past the drawing board nevermind the prototype stage.
Watching you Focker!

RoLoo

Postby RoLoo » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:16 pm

cc mac wrote:...Sportintegral & incoming vent air blowing straight into my eyes...

...have the same problem ; and due to that, most of the time I ride around with the visor a bit open... :?
Have a nice day !
Ron.

R1200S + R1200RT
(RoLoo as in RowLow...)

stoney

Postby stoney » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:09 pm

I've had a few BMW jackets, boots and gloves etc. Aesthecially they are very very nice IMHO, the stitching is good and they tend to last well - but the prices - :shock:

£500 for a new tourance jacket :shock: That gets you nearly two HG Cruise jackets.

IMHO the HG stuff is nearly as good and sssoooo much better value...plus it comes with a no quibble two guarantee and 5 year antileak guarantee.

I have a pair of BMW savannah boots that are leaking - just over two years old and BMW won't budge on their two year guarantee - no goodwill gesture or anything - :cry: Dealer tried all they could but BMW wouldn't help at all.

I can't say I'd never buy their clothing again but I would have to be blown away to spend £500+ on a jacket.

that said I find their boots, helmets and gloves to be quite resonably priced.
Andy

Me-109

Postby Me-109 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:58 pm

julian wrote:My favourite piece of kit is a pair of Harley Davidson waterproof sallopettes bought at the Warrs HD.

HD 'pants'? How can they be waterproof with the ar5e missing out of them? Chaps? I'll bet they do.... :lol:

throttlemeister

Postby throttlemeister » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:59 am

stoney wrote:£500 for a new tourance jacket :shock: That gets you nearly two HG Cruise jackets.
I can't say I'd never buy their clothing again but I would have to be blown away to spend £500+ on a jacket.

You need to shop somewhere else. In Holland the Tourance jacket costs 405 euro incl VAT what would be about 273 sterling. Jacket and pants together are 670 euro or 428 sterling. In Germany it is even a little cheaper. You are being ripped off.
Gijs

BMW R1100S | homepage | gallery
BMW K1200S 'tri-color ICBM' | ABS/ESA

stoney

Postby stoney » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:30 am

throttlemeister wrote:
stoney wrote:£500 for a new tourance jacket :shock: That gets you nearly two HG Cruise jackets.

You need to shop somewhere else. In Holland the Tourance jacket costs 405 euro incl VAT what would be about 273 sterling. Jacket and pants together are 670 euro or 428 sterling. In Germany it is even a little cheaper. You are being ripped off.

Welcome to Great Britain!

If I could buy BMW kit cheaper I would be tempted. I already said it was good kit - just not worth the prices our dealers ask for them.
Andy

Return to “Recommended products/services”