GPS Navigation

Any bike-related products/services you wish to recommend.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Huw

GPS Navigation

Postby Huw » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:18 pm

Can not see any previous threads on the topic so..... what is the best advice and comment on Sat Nav for use with the "S"?

Maps are good for getting me from here to roughly there via M1/M6 junction whatever but finding the specific address in e.g Chelmsford in a torrential downpour when a map turns to mush???? I could use a reliable, easy to use guide ideally one that talked in my ear and said "turn next right, next left...you have arrived!

Must be some experience in here?

Huw

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:15 pm

Simple answer Garmin Quest (under £400) or StreetPilot 2610 (£600 or less).

Quest http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod2337.html
SP 2610 http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod1724.html

Both have colour screens and voice navigation. The Quest has 243Mb internal memory available for loading maps whereas the 2610 has a removeable 256Mb Memory card.

The earlier SPIII is also a bit of a bargain at £350 ish second hand but the processor is a little slower than the newer units.

I personally prefer the Quest as it's smaller and can be slipped into your pocket. It also has an internal battery allowing you run it without vehicle power and to go walkabout. The SP 2610 needs to be plugged in.

To mount it on the S you have 3 choices: RAM, Touratech or Saeng. As the Quest is new you'll either have to butcher a Garmin mount or wait for one of the otheres to become available.

More info here: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28778

I've used a V on my S for the last year and half mounted using a RAM mount with the yoke clamp around the ignition barrel. Just upgraded to the Quest and waiting for a cradle to be made.

HTH

Adam
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

madman

Postby madman » Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:33 pm

I use the Street Pilot III. It was moved from the R1150RT to the K1200GT and now on the S. I paid about £400 ish new on ebay and used it in the car when I had one. It is fantastic for finding addresses or hotels. I cannot comment on it being slow as I have not tried any of the others.
The mount that I use came from Wollaston in Northampton and looked a bit agricultural at first but I improved that by changing the bolts for titanium ones.
2004 Silver (mine)
2001 Silver/Manderin (hers)
Visiting France? Read my blog on http://bikesindordogne.blogspot.com

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:55 pm

Adam,

So how much of the UK detailed level maps can you fit in to the spare RAM? Do you have to juggle stuff in and out of RAM? Is that a hassle?

Any idea when the custom mount is likely to hove into view? Do you connect your unit to an Autocom or something similar to hear the voice instructions?

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Huw

Postby Huw » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:20 pm

The Quest looks good - do you mind a couple of stupid questions? How much UK coverage can you down load to the machine? North, South or all?
If the Q. doesn't "plug in" to the bike it runs off batteries? How long is the useful "life"? i.e will they do 2 or 5 days of continuous use? Are they removable rechargable or fixed in rechargable?
Last stupid question-if tucked into map pocket on Baglux, is the unit waterproof?

Thanks for responses so far.

Huw

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:26 pm

Paul

243Mb will apparently hold all of the UK but I've loaded from Glasgow down and a large chunk of France from the North Coast down to just South of Troyes. Takes about 20 mins to load all the maps via the USB connection.

Touratech mount (£100+) might already be available but the RAM mount (£30 ish) that was due end of Nov is now due end of Dec :roll: Adventure Motorcycling.co.uk are working on a fancy mount that integrates power in and sound out, about £70 they said at the bike show, dependant on interest.

I'm not worried about voice nav on the bike* (or in the car for that matter - it's for the wife :) ) but a number of the ukGSer's cut the cables on a Garmin mount and managed to connect it to their Autocom units. I gather the only downside is the voice amplifier is in the speaker rather than the GPS unit.

HTH

Cheers

Adam

* Actually that's a lie. I haven't got an Autocom 'cos the cables would get on my nerves but with bluetooth becoming a reality I might just connect the voice later on. Did you see the bluetooth Vemar lid at the show for £250. I was tempted but I'm going to wait for the BM Sys V to compare.
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:33 pm

The Quest looks good - do you mind a couple of stupid questions? How much UK coverage can you down load to the machine? North, South or all?
All
If the Q. doesn't "plug in" to the bike it runs off batteries? How long is the useful "life"? i.e will they do 2 or 5 days of continuous use? Are they removable rechargable or fixed in rechargable?
Internal rechargeable battery, 20 Hr use, possibly less with the back light on - I figure all day use with a recharge at the end of each day will suffice whilst on tour. Alternatively just hook it up to a power source on the bike. I have a power outlet in the cockpit.
Last stupid question-if tucked into map pocket on Baglux, is the unit waterproof?
Unit is waterproof for up to half an hour immersed in 1m of water so I wouldn't worry about it being on the bike in pouring rain. The V was happy enough, good example, Oop Norf last March.

Thanks for responses so far.

Huw

Also look here: http://www.garmin.com/products/quest/

HTH

Adam

Steve W

Postby Steve W » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:36 pm

Paul

See the botom of the below link which gives the memory size required for the Garmin mapping

http://www.gps-systems.co.uk/garmin_str ... t_2610.asp

Steve

Huw

Postby Huw » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:48 pm

Thank you, Adamski! :D

The voice-nav is the appeal for me (courier work - back streets-back of beyond!) and my ignorance shows again - AUTOCOM Unit? What's the best way to link the unit/helmet to give voice-nav?

My phone is BT enabled and a dealer friend offered to get a Vemar Blue Tooth helmet at trade (ish) £199 but I was unsure re quality of build/safety. I may start a new thread!

Rob B

Postby Rob B » Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:49 pm

Stick a 2610 on the cheap garmin mount. I have got a Touratech mount on the S and a garmin for the others. I wish I hadn't of bothered with the TT mount. I'ts a little more secure, but as big and ugly as a Tower Block.

Rgds, Rob

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:04 pm

I was just about to say 'Adam and Rob'll be along shortly' and as if by magic.... :)

Boxertools

Postby Boxertools » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:19 pm

Huw,
I have an SP111 mounted on a Touratech locable bracket on my S.
I have it connected to my autocom and it works very well.
I have also connected it to a Nokia ear piece & used it with a helmet that was not autocomed up, this also worked well.
I fine the voice prompts invaluable, but I do double check the screen, you cant always take it as gospel that the gps knows all the turnings of of a roundabout etc.
I use it in the car & my van on the mount that comes with it.
I have also taken it to France & Scotland & used it in hire cars.
I think it will take the whole of the UK on the 128mb chip.

I also have a BMW navigator which is actually the SP111.
This came with the GS I bought on friday.
I will be selling the BMW unit, but I dont have the cables to connect to the pc. I doses have the UK maps loaded.
Mike.

Boxertools

Postby Boxertools » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:21 pm

Sorry about the spoling, been drinking scrumpy jack.

Mike.

Huw

Postby Huw » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:41 pm

Perhaps I shouldn't ask given the Scrumpy intake but.....may I have an idiot's guide to this "AUTOCOM" thing?

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:02 pm

Huw wrote:Perhaps I shouldn't ask given the Scrumpy intake but.....may I have an idiot's guide to this "AUTOCOM" thing?

Huw,

Go to http://www.autocom.co.uk/ for full details. It's a range of gizmos that allow you to pipe audio sources into your crash helmet, and also has a microphone so you can plumb in a two way radio or a 'phone. They have all sorts of clever noise cancelling gizmology so you can talk clearly on the 'phone/radio whilst travelling at excessive speed on your bike.

HTH,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Return to “Recommended products/services”