GPS Navigation

Any bike-related products/services you wish to recommend.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Huw

Postby Huw » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:09 pm

TY, Paul.

This is clearly going to be complicated :cry:

I naively thought that this would involve Garmin box/Batteries/wires and earplugs :oops: :oops:

Lots of reading-glad I joined Boxertrix!

Huw

Boxertools

Postby Boxertools » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:14 pm

Oi Paul,
I was going to let Jack answer that.
Mike

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:56 am

Huw wrote:I naively thought that this would involve Garmin box/Batteries/wires and earplugs :oops: :oops: Huw

Huw

It can if you go for an SPIII or 2610 as you can get an earpiece from http://www.adventure-motorcycling.co.uk/

They sell complete packages but when you add up the cost of the separate components you can pay more than if you sourced the bits yourself.

Sadly this won't work with the quest. Do you really need voice nav on the bike though? I've used my V around London without fear of riding into the back of something whilst looking at the screen.

HTH

Adam :)
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

Huw

Postby Huw » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:24 am

I can not/will not read maps on the move-too distracting and I'm very aware of that car in front that Adamski mentioned! :? The thought of driving through Glasgow with one eye on the tank bag aaaaagh!

There again, I am NO electrical expert and would not know how to start wiring an SP into the S.

I'll keep following the links that you have all provided and try to make sense of things-will keep the thread going with details of progress in case another numperty finds it useful! :-)

Thanks all.

Huw

Rob B

Plumbing it all in

Postby Rob B » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:02 pm

Wiring it in is OK, assuming that you are comfortable with taking the bodywork off and fiddling a little.

My system is the 2610 and Autocom, both well tested, but had a SPIII before that and upgraded to the 2610 this year. 2610 is much better; touch screen is fine with wet gloves etc.

Autocom needs to be found a home, the earpiece output leads secured and routed out to accessible points for me and the missus.

You’ll need a special Autocom isolator lead; it’s got a transformer inside so care where you mount it. E.g. not near the coils. This plugs into the Autocom box and the Garmin voice power lead.

Power lead to the battery but that is also true of the Garmin power/voice lead so do them at the same time. I have the Autocom powered off the side light feed so that it’s not always on; the 2610 has a switch so that’s always powered. This is a risk as the exposed contacts on the lead could get shorted against the top yoke, something to think about.

The Garmin sits in you eye line and just needs the one, combined power/voice lead and they are covered above.

Regards,

Rob

Boxertools

Postby Boxertools » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:06 pm

Huw,
All you would need to use an SP111 is the power lead connected to a power supply, like a power socket or to the battery with a fuse and an ear piece from a nokia phone.
The ear piece can become uncomfortable.
Mike.

Rob B

Postby Rob B » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:04 pm

Mike is right, I have seen people who have the whole lot in their tank bag.

Rgds, Rob

Huw

Postby Huw » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:40 pm

Thank you all for the help. Even your "idiots" guide is too much :oops:
I think a Quest (with the internal batteries) crammed in a map pocket is the way for me to go, without voice instructions, unless there is an expert local to W.Yorks who is prepared to help the helpless....?

Mmm wonder how much Mike would want for his unwanted gift (BMW Navigator/SP111)?

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:32 pm

Huw

Just to annoy/confuse you further the antenna on the Quest won't open out more than 135 degrees (45, 90 and 135) and to fit it into a map pocket you'd need it to open out to 180, ie flat.

To make it easier for you the following are the bits you need to mount a Quest off the ignition barrel of an S.

Yoke clamp, arm and round base: http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod1995.html

Yoke clamp, arm and diamond base: http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod2068.html

Quest cradle: http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod2393.html

I'll try and get some pics of the yoke clamp mounted on mine and add the V cradle to give you an idea of what it looks like.

HTH

Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

Huw

Postby Huw » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:45 pm

Mike - thanks for the P.M and advice - good to talk and a lot easier than typing :) I am interested in the BMW N. and will keep watch on the "Bits & Bobs".

Will now return to studing Adams pictures and serious study of the Autocom site!

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:36 pm

Just to help make the Quest an even more viable option apparently Makro are selling them for £351.33 INCL VAT starting this Wednesday. (Lifted from the ukGSer forum).

madman

Postby madman » Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:45 am

I found the SPIII very easy to wire into the S. The garmin power lead has only 2 wires, red and black. If you remove the nose cone to get access to the rear of the instrument pod, you can connect the red to any screw terminal with a green/black wire and the black to any screw terminal with a brown wire. This gives ignition controlled power.
The result is a power lead that comes up to the GPS mounting and is easy to remove should you sell the bike.
2004 Silver (mine)
2001 Silver/Manderin (hers)
Visiting France? Read my blog on http://bikesindordogne.blogspot.com

Huw

Postby Huw » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:35 pm

An update with thanks to all for the advice. :-) :-)

Mr Boxertools provided the Navigator, fixing bracket and wired the power lead in for me- what can I say, Mike? Thank you very much indeed.

I purchased a P.C/Sat Nav lead, Garmin provided the software (Version 6.0) CDs and although the seriel port connection took 4.5 hours to load, I am now the delighted owner of a fully functional Sat-Nav!

At my service, Williams of Manchester routed the powercable under the fairing and as a bonus hard wired it to the battery!! All at NO COST-I could scarce believe it!

Today I got the ear piece (and plug-in) and "she" guided me home. I know that some advised that the voice wasn't a great help but IMHO it makes the whole thing 100% better :-) I am now a very happy bunny!

Ride safe - Huw

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:39 pm

adamski49 wrote: I'll try and get some pics of the yoke clamp mounted on mine and add the V cradle to give you an idea of what it looks like.

Adam,

Any joy with those photo's yet. I think I might get permission from the current Mrs. Paul to ask Santa for a quest :lol:

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:00 pm

Paul

Sorry no pics of it mounted to the bike 'cos I'm still waiting for a RAM cradle :( It was due end of Nov but this has changed to just before Xmas so I probably won't see it until New Year.

If Santa goes ahead and gets you the Quest tell him it's down to £350 on the PC Worldwebsite :D and then pre-order the RAM cradle from GPS Warehouse.

As soon as I get the cradle I'll take some pics... honest. In the meantime, do you want one of me holding it in position to get an idea of proportions?

Return to “Recommended products/services”