Which lock?

Any bike-related products/services you wish to recommend.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Boxered
Route Master

Which lock?

Postby Boxered » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:35 pm

Can anyone here recommend a decent lock that is portable?
Ideally I would like to store it on the bike via a bracket. Have any trixters come up with a solution, there really is nowhere to store anything on the s

thanks in advance

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:18 pm

You need a nice corbin 'smuggler' single seat unit you do, to store your(very small) lock.
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:57 pm

not sure where you'd put it - but assuming you're talking about a Disc-lock - I've had a Oxford Omega for a few years and so far (touches wood) not lost a bike.

it's the chunkiest disc-lock on the market and does NOT have the vulnerable lock system as was in RiDE last month.
non quod, sed quomodo

Boxerlass

Postby Boxerlass » Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:13 pm

You could try one of those teeny weeny padlocks that are supposed to hold suitcase zips together. Well, at least it would fit under the seat. :roll: :wink:

Pauline
Girls just wanna' have fun!

Mick Mac

Postby Mick Mac » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:38 pm

Steve,

I use a Motrax cable which comes in it's own case. The cable is approximately 1.5m and is great for wrapping around road furniture, other bike's locks etc.

It coils up and stows in the case which can be attached to the pillon seat by velcro straps which join under the seat. The case is big enough to carry my waterproof trousers, bungy cords, maps etc. It can be unclipped when you leave the bike.

It is much lighter than a chain and is much easier to handle. The cost was around £40.

By the way, if you are tempted to carry a chain around your person - don't. On Monday I attended a one-day www.bikesafe-london.co.uk course in Hayes and one of the case studies they looked at was a bloke who T-boned a car doing a rediculous speed in London. The impact with the car probably killed him but the lock and chain did him a power of no good.

I also carry a disk lock which dangles from a taped up front seat lug. To stop it banging around I've adapted a bungy to keep it in place.

Mick

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:11 pm

Thanks Mick, I'll check out the motrax cable. Re carrying chain/ lock, yep thats why I want something that is carried on bike rather than on person, can you imagine the damage a disklock could do to your ribs/hips if you have it in your jacket pocket and the worst happens ?. I nearly bought a lock (Lumar)at the NEC show that came with it's own bracket to attach to the bikes frame, until I realised it would'nt fit through my discs. Oxford also have a carrier which I will check out.

Steve
Well-weathered leather

Hot metal and oil

The scented country air

Sunlight on chrome

The blur of the landscape

Every nerve aware

julian

Postby julian » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:02 pm

I have:
Squire ML2L High Security Disc Lock that is very versatile
A b.f.o. Squire SS65CS
and an Abus granit Disk lock

All used with the following chain - one left at work and one at home.

http://almax-security-chains.co.uk/about/

My S was stolen with a heavy duty Abus disk lock attached so unless your bike is chained to something solid I would say it is only protected against casual theft.
BMW R1100S (Black)
Suzuki TL1000S (Red)

Bencmaster

Postby Bencmaster » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:11 pm

http://almax-security-chains.co.uk/about/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well I have just bought one of these Monsters. The last time i saw a chain as tough as that was one challenger tank pulling another out of a ditch..well almost.

Need a degree in weight lifting. Good stuff thoughfor the garage!

Ben

Return to “Recommended products/services”