Stainless Steel Fastners

Any bike-related products/services you wish to recommend.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

minivin

Stainless Steel Fastners

Postby minivin » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:30 pm

Ok people, as an aside I get to deal with a lot of stainless steel and have access to fasteners galore. I have just been measuring parts for my R11S as it's starting to look grubby with crappy paint-dipped screws and I want it shinny.

I have measured and priced the following screws for the following locations:

4 M6 x 28 Socket Cap Pannier Rail
2 M6 x 34 Socket Cap Pannier Rail
4 M8 x 22 Socket Cap Pillion Pegs
2 M6 x 22 Socket Cap Rear Brake and Heal Plate
2 M5 x 10 Socket Button Nearside Heal Plate
2 M5 x 10 Socket Button Front Mudguard
2 M5 x 25 Socket Button Front Mudguard
6 M5 x 25 Socket Button Indicator Sponson
4 M6 x 20 Socket Button Pannier Rail

For those items it comes out as £5.75 +P&P, there are a few other screws under the seat for the pannier rails I forgot and of course the engine to price up as well.

Would anybody be interested if I was to price-up a set of stainless fastners for our lovely bikes as I'm willing to do the time measuring and listing where each of the fastners go? Just trying to find another way of helping to suppliment my classic racing hopes :)

Also, could people list how they would like it? engine kit only? fairing fastners only? rear end? fullkit as and where possible et cetera?
Last edited by minivin on Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Classic Motorcycle Magazine, Young Motorcyclist of the Year 2003

minivin

Postby minivin » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:29 pm

Oh, and just compared to M&P with stainless Mr. fastner with over-sizes in length for those not available (so you'd have to cut to size) and the above list comes to an astounding £16.33p + P&P!!!

Just thought I'd let you know that I aint conning you here :roll:

Darth_1100S
Location: It has a pier but it it ain't Blackpool or Brighton

Postby Darth_1100S » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:25 am

Vin, can you get M10 fine x 50mm (1.25 pitch) stainless steel caphead bolts. I need a few for my lads XJR400 calipers. I'm having a devil of a job finding them. Bugger is I've changed the majority of the bolts on the 'S' for s/s - it's cost me a bloody fortune!

Dave.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

minivin

Postby minivin » Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:34 am

Yep, Socket Cap Screws are £2 each plus P&P <gulp> however is this for the mounting of a caliper or bolting the two halves of a caliper together? if it's mounting then this is not the grade of stainless you will need as it is not the high tensile grade of stainless needed for such a location.

An example of poor choice of stainless grade is that I used the same grade BSF 5/16" x 2" bolt to mount the front suspension damper lower mounting on my Vincent Comet, unfortunately the Vincent uses the suspension damper as the means of providing the travel-stop at each extreme.

Result was that after 10k miles use one day down a country lane chasing sportsbikes the bolt sheered because it was taking a hammering at full-extension and luckily it was only the threaded portion that broke away so I still had a bit left to keep it all working :roll:

carlk

Postby carlk » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:14 am

I would be interested in an engine kit, also the ones you have listed above
traffic Dodger

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:08 am

Rob - ditto me on the engine kit. :)

Darth_1100S
Location: It has a pier but it it ain't Blackpool or Brighton

Postby Darth_1100S » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:46 am

Vin I managed to get some front Stainless caliper bolts for the lads XJR, Yam Fazer ones are exactly the same. I'm just having probs getting the rear ones now. (the're longer than the fronts). However, I've got the new MPS catalogue through the door this morning and they're advertising M10 fine in s/s, for caliper mounting. I assume these will be the correct grade?

Dave.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Skint

Postby Skint » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:52 am

minivin,

i would love a price for a fairing kei and an engine kit.. WEould like to do one then the other. Fairing first me thinks...
When can the Highway agency lay softer road coverings??

Now rides a mangled wreck... Ho Hum back to the K100

Skint

Postby Skint » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:52 am

Skint wrote:minivin,

i would love a price for a fairing kei and an engine kit.. WEould like to do one then the other. Fairing first me thinks...

damn my typing today... Must read what i have written some day...
When can the Highway agency lay softer road coverings??

Now rides a mangled wreck... Ho Hum back to the K100

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:09 am

Skint

Try the edit button - you can go back and correct all those typo's if you feel that way inclined... I do :)

Adam
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

minivin

Postby minivin » Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:41 pm

carlk: I'll price up the above and for the engine

Gromit: Ok with the Engine as well!

Darth: if they specify that those bolts are for calipers then there should be no problem as of course MPS would be risking a severe damages claim if they sold dodgy stuff that can't cope with braking, give them a call if you want to be sure as I'm sure they'll be willing to talk you through it

Skint: ok, will price the fairing as seperate and the engine will be comparable to Gromits request :)

Will post the prices end of play Sunday!

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:08 pm

Rob

Ok, brain now in gear... as posted on the Garmin thread.

The 500mA fuse is one of them pretty glass ones with a chrome cap at each end... technical me I'll have to go and find the spare one to measure it but it's small so I'd hazard a guess at 15mm.

I'll take one of the above sets please plus can you get me the following?

6 No. M4x22 (cross head / philips screw)
6 No. M4x24 (cross head / philips screw)
8 No. flat washers to suit
8 No. lock nuts with the nylon insert (Nylock?)

I'm not sure of the accuracy of the 4 part of M4 as this is straight off the BM fitting instructions and the last time I used BM refs Mackays said I had the wrong reference for the fixing I had in my hand :?

If you can, let me know the total cost and I'll drop you a cheque.

Brake caliper S/S fixings would be nice as well. Need to add a little (I'll measure later) to the rear caliper bolts for the Ilmberger hugger.

I've used standard S/S bolts on brake calipers on all my K's without problems in the past but this was when I had access to free stock... unfortunately my dad has retired and the source is no longer available, no consideration some people :)

Thanks

Adam
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

Boxadog 2000

Stainless Steel Fasteners

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:10 pm

Rob
Unless your stainless steel fasteners are some super dooper aircraft grade
you are being riped of on the cost I priced up the list you posted, from the stock that we sell to Jo Public and it only comes out at £1.99 and I have to say that it includes a healthy profit margin for the company that I work for.
The grade that I sell is bog standard A2 which is just fine for use on Bikes.
I did post on the old site a long time ago that if folks wanted stainless bolts and screws they should give me a ring.

Bob

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:38 pm

Bob

I thought Rob's price was good 'cos I bought a couple of A2 S/S bolts c/w washers and nuts for about £3 from Mackays in Cambridge.

If you can do them at that price I'll take a set.

In fact is there a full list of fixings for the S that could be priced up?

Let me know when the price has been settled :)

Adam

Boxadog 2000

Stainless Steel Fasteners

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:46 pm

Adam
Unfortunatley when I changed all my nuts and bolts for s/s I just lobbed the m/s in the bin and did not bother to measure each item and I cant really be arsed to take each one out and measure it.
However if anybody lives near to me (I am in Cippenham near Slough)
they are welcome to bring there S around one day over a weekend and we could do a difinitive list.

Bob

Return to “Recommended products/services”