Sat Nav

Any bike-related products/services you wish to recommend.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

slparry

Postby slparry » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:28 pm

SP250 wrote:Thanks Steve - but I haven't got mapsource.
Is it the same as basecamp which I downloaded but is gobbledegook compared with Google maps.

I just followed the Garmin Zumo manual instructions and Ride mag says the GPX files go straight into the Garmin.

I think Basecamp is the newer version of what Mapsource was

I'd suspect that either way the software is needed to transfer the .gpx file, perhaps RiDE meant that the software would open the gpx's?
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:50 pm

Mapsource is a lot simpler than Basecamp, and at first I hated Basecamp.

Now - I prefer it, and find it relatively simple - it just takes a bit fo practice.

You can use Tyre software, but I've never tried it.

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

SP250

Postby SP250 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:33 pm

Thanks again Steve /Al - I'll try it with Basecamp and if it doesn't work I'll be using a map to find the route!
John M

SP250

Postby SP250 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:50 pm

Ok got sorted out.

Phoned RiDE and the editor didn't know how to do it but promised to get someone to call me back - still waiting....

Phoned Garmin and a very helpful chap sorted me out.
He also took note that the Zumo 660 manual is wrong and the website doesn't say where to download a full manual.
But I'm not holding my breath till they get corrected.
John M

slparry

Postby slparry » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:46 pm

SP250 wrote:Ok got sorted out.

Phoned RiDE and the editor didn't know how to do it but promised to get someone to call me back - still waiting....

Phoned Garmin and a very helpful chap sorted me out.
He also took note that the Zumo 660 manual is wrong and the website doesn't say where to download a full manual.
But I'm not holding my breath till they get corrected.

Owners manual
http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/zumo_660_OM_EN.pdf

Quick start guide
http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/zumo_660_QSM_EN.pdf
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Motocod

Postby Motocod » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:21 am

A bit late to the party here, but my experience with Garmin is that it's a bit frustrating to use if you want to input multiple waypoints. My Nuvi (car model, but I use it in a waterproof pouch) will only let me insert one "via" point along a journey. When I was recently in the Pyrenees I had to manually enter all of my points of interests and save them to Favourites, then keep stopping along the way to enter the next couple of places.

By contrast, I've previously used a TomTom and you seemed to be able to enter as many waypoints as you wanted, which meant programming in a complicated route really easy.

Also, my Garmin seems to have an annoying habit of taking me down stupid tiny roads that aren't really roads, or aren't as fast or direct as it thinks they are.

I will probably look to move away from Garmin when I next do a big trip. It's ok if you're literally going Point A to Point B, but for touring around when you want to take scenic routes and not just the fastest or most direct route it's pretty inflexible.

Nik

Return to “Recommended products/services”