Sat Nav

Any bike-related products/services you wish to recommend.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

SP250

Sat Nav

Postby SP250 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:00 pm

Just got the go ahead to have a few days touring Scotland week after next.
Been thinking about shelling out for a sat nav to use on the 1100S (and in the car since the one in the dash just died) but searching on here only threw up threads from 10 years ago.
There must be more up-to-date units now and mounts.
What should I buy bearing in mind I am NOT techie literate and can't even post pictures on this site as it is too complicated.
So ease of use, removable from bike, covers Europe and idiot proof, lifetime updateable.

John
John M

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:41 pm

Garmin is my choice - always.

Zumo 660 is the current mainstream model

Zumo 220 or 350 are cheaper, but smaller screen

Zumo is waterproof, and is able to accept routes which you have created on your PC/laptop using Basecamp software.

Zumo is a widescreen model which perhaps has to be located carefully on the R1100s, whereas the 220 is squarer in shape.

For location - it is possible to use the U-clamp supplied at the joint of the left clipon to the fork - and presents the screen in a logical position to the left of the bike.

Zumo 660 will cost app £300 new, slightly more if you go for lifetime mapping updates.

Hth

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

SP250

Postby SP250 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:00 am

Thanks Al

Amazon seem to be cheapest at £329, but will do a bit more searching on prices.
They show an updated version the 590LM - but it is £492.

John
John M

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:54 am

What phone do you have? If it is one of the android smart phones consider Sygic. It does not stream data from the mobile network. You do have to subscribe to it. Lifetime I think is like £35 for Europe. All the maps are downloaded to your phone memory when you have a connection with your wi-fi. You just have to choose which countries you want to download. It is really good in town. Takes a while to get used to how it announces turn and junctions but once you understand you cannot go wrong. It has loads of additional info for the map (just be selective with the settings) and loads of graphs if you fancy to know how high you actually were on that mountain pass even top speed, acceleration and so on. I use mine with the bits from ultimate mobiles to mount it on the bike and Sena bluetooth headset paired to the bugger.

There is some other negatives about it but I have learned how to operate the thing and it is actually simple. If you fancy going this way I can write you a guide.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:03 am

I found a Tom Tom Rider on E bay and bid for it and won iut for £70 I then spent £30 on a suitable mount and charging kit plus £40 for Map up date so £140 all in. The unit is waterproof and has a bright enough display in sunny weather. Check out E bay and start bidding.
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:50 am

If you are looking for a new unit - try Handtec..........

They are cheaper than Amazon and I've never had any problems with them.

Zumo 220 is like the 660, but narrower screen, which doesn't allow you to display the most used data-tabs at the side of the screen like the 660.

It does however contain all the data on a flip-screen.
Time to Destination
Arrival time at destination
Distance to Destination
Time to turn
Direction
Elevation

etc.

As mentioned - there are some decent buys on Ebay, but that can cough up the occasional problem:

Knackered battery, intermittent faults etc (or in the case of the 2610 I bought a lot of years ago - a stolen unit :shock: )

Zumo 550 still commands a high 2nd-hand price, although the 400 and 500 can be bought cheaper. General opinion is that the 550 is a better-built unit than the 660 (its successor) - but Garmin no longer support that series, so they will only ever offer a 660 by replacement - with an additional cost to you of app £120.

You see some 660s for sale on UKGSer (quite a few of late) - possibly due to people opting for the BMW variant on their new Bikes (probably all bought on PCP) - so they offload their old 660.

If you are new to Satnavs - you may not realise all the benefits of the Zumo, so perhaps a toe-dip in the water might be the TomTom?

Al :D

See if that works .....

SP250

Postby SP250 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:47 am

Thanks guys.

I will always buy new as I have been disappointed by some S/H and ebay buys recently, so cheap price is not the driver here. Not that I want to pay lots, I just want a warranty and back up as I struggle with technology and ease of use is a priority plus someone to talk to to get the best out of it. And I don't want to have to buy another one in 2/3 years time because it won't do what I want it to. If that makes sense.
Will pop into Maplins Chester BMW and Halfords for a look and chat before I decide.

John
John M

slparry

Postby slparry » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:02 am

Blackal wrote:Garmin is my choice - always.

Zumo 660 is the current mainstream model

Zumo 220 or 350 are cheaper, but smaller screen

Zumo is waterproof, and is able to accept routes which you have created on your PC/laptop using Basecamp software.

Zumo is a widescreen model which perhaps has to be located carefully on the R1100s, whereas the 220 is squarer in shape.

For location - it is possible to use the U-clamp supplied at the joint of the left clipon to the fork - and presents the screen in a logical position to the left of the bike.

Zumo 660 will cost app £300 new, slightly more if you go for lifetime mapping updates.

Hth

Al

Agreed. Garmin or the rebadged BMW variants are excellent
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

SP250

Postby SP250 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:42 pm

Well Chester BMW have them in stock and even the salesman there suggested I get it from Amazon as the BMW price is £610 and that is without bike or car mounts. Amazon is £329 and has both mounts and a case included. Al's suggestion is a bit cheaper again, with a refurb unit coming in at £282, still with both mounts.
Might need to nip up to the Pondy to buy you a coffee Steve, so you can show me how to use the thing!

John
John M

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:43 pm

The BMW badged model has a different wiring to the cradle than the Garmin model. This is why with the new BMW models which have the thumb scroll doesn't work with the Garmin. This can be rectified by Garmin I believe. The cradle is serviced by a lead with 5 wires whereas the the Garmin model has 3 wires. Also the cradle has different wiring to the Garmin model, a simple procedure by Garmin to move a wire from one pin to another. This should enable the Garmin satnav to work on the BMW cradle with the thumb scroll. So I have been told.

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:53 pm

I do not know how useful this may be to basecamp operators but have a look and play with it.

http://www.2wheelgeek.com/BaseCampResources.aspx

slparry

Postby slparry » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:21 pm

SP250 wrote:Well Chester BMW have them in stock and even the salesman there suggested I get it from Amazon as the BMW price is £610 and that is without bike or car mounts. Amazon is £329 and has both mounts and a case included. Al's suggestion is a bit cheaper again, with a refurb unit coming in at £282, still with both mounts.
Might need to nip up to the Pondy to buy you a coffee Steve, so you can show me how to use the thing!

John

Mines an older BMW Navigator III, a rebadged StreetPilot 2820. I've been very pleased with it.

Assuming the one you get is similar (and most of the Garmin's I've seen are, I'll be happy to help :) )
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:44 pm

I just have the sat nav back up system - called a road map. I can find my way to most places in UK without a map, and abroad, well, just makes the trip more "interesting" - I've never gotten lost but I've made a few detours along the way :lol:
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:12 am

Just had a scan of the 660s being sold on UKGSer...........

two year-old models being sold and snapped up - at £250 (inc postage) for a unit that you can buy new fron Handtec with warranty and up-to-date mapping.............

For £293!

On that basis, if you have the £300 for a new one - at least you know you won't lose a heap of money if you decide to sell after a year or so.

Crazy prices!

Al

See if that works .....

SP250

Postby SP250 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:03 pm

Ok - ordered one from Handtec @ £297 so will see how it stacks up tomorrow when it arrives.
Cheers for all the help.
John
John M

Return to “Recommended products/services”