bluetooth for sat nav

Any bike-related products/services you wish to recommend.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

dave the german

bluetooth for sat nav

Postby dave the german » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:29 pm

What bluetooth units do trixters use for their sat navs? I don't need an intercom only a device to hear sat nav instructions. Any advice?
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:39 pm

You're in luck, Dave......

on UKGSer recently:

"You will need the following:

A blue tooth TRANSMITTER module NOT A RECIEVER (don't ask me how I know) available on ebay for about £12 posted)

A 2.5male jack to 3.5 female jack extension (avaialbe on Ebay for £1.74 posted)

A Garmin GPS 2610 or 2720 or other variant with the Audio out jack plug branch cable.
Connect the blue tooth dongle using the 2.5mm - 3,5mm jack plug to the audio out plug that is attached to the GPS 12v power lead. (little black box)

Its a simple slider switch followed by a pair of LEDs that flash red and blue until the device is paired then it goes solid blue.

This particualr dongle has a mini USB charging port (lead supplied) and a audio out port.
I have tested this with my IPOD using the silver back to back jack extension that comes with the dongle and it works an absolute treat IN STEREO. or mount it all in the IPOD case

Once the Dongle is paired to your headset you don't have to keep pairing it unless you zeroise the settings.

I havn' t tested this on any other variation of helmet comms, but the dongle is the standard Bluetooth version 2 me thinks but works with all my blue tooth devices from my samsung tablet and laptop and my work Iphone and galaxy note so it's extremely useful.

I'm happy to answer any questions

Would be great as a sticky me thinks as this gives current users of this series of garmin the ability to continue their love affair WIRELESSLY instead of spending 'undreds on a new GPS. "

IT GOES BY THE NAME OF eSYNiC from Ebay

==================

Or purchase this :

http://www.ridermount.com/home/categ...tooth-upgrade/

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:57 pm

Cheers Al - looking at getting a Zumo 660LM - some good deals at the mo and wasn't sure how to hear it!! Scala rider gets good write ups but is also expensive. Apparently BT do a unit that is supposed to be very good and quite cheap. Need to sit down and search but all input is appreciated
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:19 pm

Sorry Dave - I misunderstood your requirement. You just need a cheap BT receiver! Plenty on Ebay and Amazon, I'm sure. They will all have 3.5mm socket outputs which will fit all stereo earbuds, or slim pad speakers for inside your lid.
-------------------------------------

If you are looking at progressing to bike-bike comms then the Sena is supposed to be the "daddy" just now, because it is reported to pair up with the other makers' units.

A group of us (2 at first, becoming 3 and 4) went for the Scala G4, and found it to be great, but things move on, and the ability to have open comms between 4 or more bikes might be an advantage.

To be honest - I use coily-cable to hook in my iPod to my Scala, and seldom use the bluetooth from the satnav as I've only found the spoken directions to be desirable in the heaviest of city traffic, and even then - I still steal a glance at the screen.

Everyone is different, however.

The 660 is a great unit, but must be nearing end of production soon? You should be able to get one for around £310 with lifetime mapping?

I bought a little 220 for use on my sporty-bikes, but for sure the 660 is better for displaying more information on the screen (for touring mostly - Arrival at Ferry, miles to turn, miles to go - etc)

Have a look at the 340/350/390 too.

Al :)
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:19 pm

Yep Al thats about the price I've seen. Need to sort it soon but busy putting the VFR back together on my days off (then drinking beer at night) :lol:
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:44 pm

Got the Sena and very pleased with it.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

SP250

Postby SP250 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:14 am

Got the Scala G9x and its does all it says on the tin, although I cannot compare it to any other type as it is the first I've had. Use it with Garmin Zumo 660.
John M

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:37 am

I've recently gone through the same problem with sourcing a no-bells-and-whistles Bluetooth headset, and without needing a mortgage. I ended up with the Sena 3S-w (full-face version - there is a different 3S for open-face).

Still a bit more than I wanted to pay (£81 including £13 delivery from France), but it seems to be a good make. The control unit is tiny and barely noticeable stuck to the side of my Shoei GT Air. It paired without fuss to my tomtom Rider satnav, and so far, I'm very pleased with it.

The big test in 4 weeks when I ride through France to Spain.

Return to “Recommended products/services”