I do not recommend BMW Welwyn Garden City

Any bike-related products/services you wish to recommend.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

f90x

I do not recommend BMW Welwyn Garden City

Postby f90x » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:38 pm

Ordered an ignition module that turned out not to be the fault £80 part that they then refused to take back. An item that they had to get from central BMW spares but was toldthey usually keep in stock so no actual reason not to take back. This is now the usual standard of customer care from BMW having had pretty bad customer care from Bhanstormers BMW in the past. Every time I've taken my r1200S to Oxford it's come back with something wrong or broken and I've finally had a gutfull of lousy service from every BMW dealer I've dealt with. I have sold the Guzzi and the R1200S is next. I was on the cusp of ordering an R1250RS and making it my last bike as I intend to do a lot more Euro touring as of next year but frankly, bollox to BMW. My money is going elsewhere from now on.

Rant over,
Angry from London...
R1200GS TC. Triple Black
R1200S. It’s gone. Had it 11yrs. My favourite bike in 42yrs riding.

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Re: I do not recommend BMW Welwyn Garden City

Postby Paul » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:02 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experiences. I can't think off hand of a company I have had consistently 100% flawless service from, but on balance most of the BMW dealers I have interacted with seem pretty good at least 80% of the time I have interacted with them, even though my wallet seems to get significantly lighter each time I do talk to them. You're missing out on a cracking touring bike, if you decide not to go with the R1250RS. What else is on your shortlist of non-BMW bikes to try?

All the best,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:05 pm

Thats pants, sounds like you've had no luck with main dealers at all, why not try an Indie, a more personal experience with an enthusiast who's business and clients are their livelihood, before you chuck the towel in :wink:
"02 Yamaha XJR 1300SP in Kenny Roberts Yellow - (bought new)
"18 BMW S1000R Sports - (bought new)

"11 Porsche Boxster 987 S Black Edition No.261 of 987

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:13 pm

I don't use my local dealer, apart from parts if they have them in stock for work I'm doing myself. this was down to the service manager who no longer works there (but the bad taste is still in my mouth). I bought my last bike from Barrie Robson and the service from them has been exceptional although I have heard bad reports about them. MY 12S had the major heart surgery performed at Williams in Manchester and again they were exceptional, keeping me updated with the work and sending pictures. I'm sure some people have had a bad experience with them. It shouldn't be happening but it does and I had a conversation with someone from head office when I was in Garmisch on the Motorrad Tours - they weren't impressed but did anything get done? I doubt it. In the present climate (meaning the last few years) they've needed to sell bikes so I suspect SOME dealer's standards fall short of whats expected.
Maybe we can have comments about their positive experiences? Personally I would be prepared to travel to a dealer that gives me good service and at service time make a short trip of it and have a night out (if that happened, Barrie Robson offered to take me to the hotel). So, lets hear some positive remarks from the main dealers that do offer good service. I hear Chester Motorrad are pretty good too!! :wink:
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Al

Postby Al » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:50 pm

Humour me on this, just want to clarify, you ordered a part to fix a fault with the bike, turned out part wasn’t needed, was 1)bike with dealers for repair and they said part was needed, or 2) did you fault diagnose fault & order part to fix bike yourself and then find it wasn’t that part that was needed, my response if it was #2 would probably be the same as the dealer, #1 different matter entirely.

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

f90x

Postby f90x » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:06 pm

I know Paul. That RS is a cracking bike but I really have had enough of the dealers. In a knee jerk to keep me on the road I have had offered to me just yesterday out of the blue on another forum (and I took it) a mint (and I do mean showroom fresh fanatically looked after and properly sorted) 2005 generation 1 Yamaha Fazer 1000 with a mere 10,000 miles at such a bargain price it's silly. And to be honest, it will in all likelihood be more reliable for longer than any of the current crop of modern big BMW's. I am beginning to think that BMW's these days are made to last just about the length of the average PCP plan and then the general public can pick up the repair bills for as long as they can keep all the tech going. I have a few acquaintances who have had nightmares with water cooled GS's. One of whom has had two gearboxes and an engine on the same bike. In the first year of ownership BMW had it more than he did. Another with a clutch and a new suspension system, and a third with new brakes and dashboard (LCD type)Both those guys are sworn off BMW forever. And what about our own Steve Parry who's K1300 I seem to recall has had at least one gearbox, full suspension and maybe a couple of clutches. Not to mention the ongoing list of serious troubles one can find on the internet. I'm sure the customer service is wonderful when one is handing over £16k or signing that lease contract but once the warranty is over all they want is more money and don't expect any niceties. I'm ranting a bit and clearly I'm pissed but ultimately, for the sake of not taking back what they told me was a 'stock item' they lose a £16k sale. It was the final straw for me. Long term, I don't know what I'll get. There's nothing really comparable to the RS. Perhaps I'll like the Fazer and be done with it.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

f90x

Postby f90x » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:11 pm

Al wrote:Humour me on this, just want to clarify, you ordered a part to fix a fault with the bike, turned out part wasn’t needed, was 1)bike with dealers for repair and they said part was needed, or 2) did you fault diagnose fault & order part to fix bike yourself and then find it wasn’t that part that was needed, my response if it was #2 would probably be the same as the dealer, #1 different matter entirely.

Al.

#2 But I've had stock parts from dealers before that have been returned when it's discovered that it didn't fix the problem. It's not a part that gets any wear or damage to discover whether it works or not. The packaging seal was already broken. It's called customer service. I am an existing customer. I am a potential repeat customer and I am(was) a potential big sale.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:10 pm

I don't think it is good business for a company to sell parts to customers on a 'sale or return' basis, where they install said parts - then return them when the problem isn't cured. If you want that facility - you get them to diagnose the fault and try parts in their facility, either from stock parts, a part from another bike in stock, or ordered part - that is at their expense.

Three reasons immediately come to mind:

1) Especially relevant to electronics/electrical parts - is the inability to check that the returned item still works. Perhaps the underlying bike fault has also screwed up the new module.
2) Just as people are happy to trade in a vehicle with an undiscovered fault to a dealer - they are equally happy to swap out a part, take back the old one for a refund. (happens on ebay plenty times)
3) With the current economic climate it is entirely possible that they are running down their stock of spares, due to cash-flow problems.

Unless you have an agreement with the dealership - then I am siding with their stance.

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

GerryB

Postby GerryB » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:06 am

Al wrote:Humour me on this, just want to clarify, you ordered a part to fix a fault with the bike, turned out part wasn’t needed, was 1)bike with dealers for repair and they said part was needed, or 2) did you fault diagnose fault & order part to fix bike yourself and then find it wasn’t that part that was needed, my response if it was #2 would probably be the same as the dealer, #1 different matter entirely.

Al.

When I lived in South Africa , the policy there is "No Returns" on any electrical components.....

For the simple reason , is it can not be verified that its in perfect working condition when returned .

So, when there were electrical faults, unless it was clearly determined the fault, it went to a dealer, so he could bugger about swapping components .
Old man ... now .
Ex Off Road & Enduro Rider...

f90x

Postby f90x » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:53 am

Blackal wrote:I don't think it is good business for a company to sell parts to customers on a 'sale or return' basis, where they install said parts - then return them when the problem isn't cured. If you want that facility - you get them to diagnose the fault and try parts in their facility, either from stock parts, a part from another bike in stock, or ordered part - that is at their expense.

Three reasons immediately come to mind:

1) Especially relevant to electronics/electrical parts - is the inability to check that the returned item still works. Perhaps the underlying bike fault has also screwed up the new module.
2) Just as people are happy to trade in a vehicle with an undiscovered fault to a dealer - they are equally happy to swap out a part, take back the old one for a refund. (happens on ebay plenty times)
3) With the current economic climate it is entirely possible that they are running down their stock of spares, due to cash-flow problems.

Unless you have an agreement with the dealership - then I am siding with their stance.

Al

That’s fair enough. You are right of course and I realise I’ve ‘kicked off’ but I guess it’s just an accumulation of being pissed off by BMW. I’ve probably over reacted but maybe it was meant to be. Perhaps it’s time for me to step away from them for a while. I love the bikes. I just can’t stand the dealers.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:13 am

I think both @Al & @Blackal have made valid points and I can see by your last response you probably agree :wink: although you're still aggrieved at your previous treatment. It sounds like it wasn't that issue on it's own as you say and now you've calmed down it's a small matter but one that has 'broken the camels back' as it were. I can understand that, it's frustrating.

We all spend our hard earned on these bikes and their maintenance and I for one expect proper, honest customer service which is sadly lacking in all aspects of modern life I've found in recent years and cling onto any business that give me excellent Customer Service, even if and it's not always the case but even if it costs me little more as @dave the german said :thumbleft:

Hope you can enjoy the bike and lets see your Fazer then :bounce:
"02 Yamaha XJR 1300SP in Kenny Roberts Yellow - (bought new)
"18 BMW S1000R Sports - (bought new)

"11 Porsche Boxster 987 S Black Edition No.261 of 987

NewbeeBMW

Postby NewbeeBMW » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:23 pm

Have to admit I vote with my feet and wallet depends on how i feel i have been dealt with on a customer basis, as a general comment service has been getting worse as of late.

Return to “Recommended products/services”