Aerostich suit arrived...

Any bike-related products/services you wish to recommend.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Red Fokker

Aerostich suit arrived...

Postby Red Fokker » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:43 pm

Received my Roadcrafter today from the good old US of A. It's bloody ace and very ingenious. Only tried it on in the house so can't comment how it compares outside, tomorrows commute to work will give it a test ride. First glance would suggest it's extremely well made and Aerostich's sizing facility is bloody accurate as I admit there was some slight trepidation that maybe it wouldn't fit but my fears were unfounded. Highly recommended piece of quality kit. Most impressed with the 'upside down' zip which runs from the collar and down to the bottom of the left leg. This means there's no bending into ridiculous positions in order to mate the zip up - locate at the collar and zip down - hey presto - simple but brilliant.

Red Fokker

Postby Red Fokker » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:51 am

Well been using it for the last few days on a 60 mile round trip and I can safely say it lives up to it's reputation, well pleased. Had to have some thermals and a microfleece on underneath (it's been down to -4 here) but i'd have had them on with whatever gear. What would really compliment it is a heated vest...

Chuffed to bits.

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:03 pm

Isn't the spiel from Aerostitch that you can wear your normal clothes under the suit and then zip off the suit at your destination and not need to get changed? How feasible is that?

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Red Fokker

Postby Red Fokker » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:10 pm

It's very feasable for probably 3/4 of the year. However as stated above you do need to layer up in the freezing spells if your doing any distance although maybe not if you've got a heated vest. You literally do step into and out of it - our lass commented that it was akin to the velcroed trousers on 'The Full Monty" - I assured her it wasn't going anywhere near the bedroom! Its very well made, the armour is excellent and unlike some makes does not move around which was a concern of mine having a previous knee injury.

tripe

Postby tripe » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:16 pm

I use a Gerbing heated jacket under my roadcrafter and it does mean that you don 't have to build up the layers up top it makes journeys very comfortable. On particularly long journeys some thermal leggings are a must though.
Henry

Red Fokker

Postby Red Fokker » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:22 am

Sounds like a heated vest will be on my next Christmas list Tripe. How do you find the Gerbing - good bad or indifferent? Seems there is a lot more of this type of stuff on the market now. I even seem to recall that Steptoe made his own from a kit off ebay but I can't remember whether this was talked about on Boxertrix or UKGSER, I seem to think the latter.

Penfold

Postby Penfold » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:31 pm

Red Fokker wrote:I even seem to recall that Steptoe made his own from a kit off ebay but I can't remember whether this was talked about on Boxertrix or UKGSER, I seem to think the latter.

Does this help? http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread ... ght=heated
Penf
"Crumbs Chief! What do we do now?"

Red Fokker

Postby Red Fokker » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:20 pm

yep... thats one, knew I'd seen it somewhere.

BMW-Fahrer

Only in summer...

Postby BMW-Fahrer » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:51 pm

The Aerostich is great until it rains.Than it truely sucks because you will get wet.
For dry climates ok but not good in the rain because the water comes through the zippers.Would never buy another one...
At least it comes off easy to change for dry cloths... :wink:

Red Fokker

Postby Red Fokker » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:26 am

Well so far I haven't had a leak in the suit... read into that what you will (poor folk have poor ways) and I,ve ridden an hour in pouring rain. Not saying it won't as I did read an article saying that they are prone to leak at the zip around the crotch if the velcro aint secure... thats going to be my excuse anyway. :oops:

Red Fokker

Postby Red Fokker » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:32 pm

Well still no leaks and I love it.

tripe

Postby tripe » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:13 pm

Gerbing certainly does what its meant to though you must get the controller to save roasting! I took a five hour trip down to Cornwall last March and rode through 2 hail storms and freezing weather and arrived smiling.
I have had it replaced once when the lement went in one arm and Gerbing will do it without quibbling.
Its also nice and warm as an extra layer under the aerostitch.

as to the suit itself it has on occasion leaked a little around the crotch but I reproofed it and its much improved. I have worn it all year rounsd for the last three years and love it, it has worn well and has only needed the slider of tone zip replacing, a two minute job.
Would I replace it with another one - definitely

Red Fokker

Postby Red Fokker » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:29 pm

Still staying dry in this torrential weather (it's rough up North) and I'm loving it. Wish I'd bought one years ago. If you're thinking about getting one, do it, you won't be disappointed. No need for the heated clothing so far, I've found I can get by with a base layer (t shirt or vest) whatever top you like (in my case a shirt for work) and a micro fleece. Snug as a bug in a rug. :D

Got my credit card bill through the other day so I can now tell you the suit cost just shy of £500. Bear in mind around £100 of this was taken up by taxes, vat, and handling charges at this side - bloody Government. So if you are planning a trip to America or know someone who could post it on from there as 'a gift' you'll get a real bargain.

Return to “Recommended products/services”