Luggage recomendation please.

Any bike-related products/services you wish to recommend.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Boxertools

Luggage recomendation please.

Postby Boxertools » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:31 pm

I am looking for luggage and would like recomendations.
I have BMW panniers but find them too wide ugly & restrictive for space due to the internal shape (but if you are looking to buy some, they are beyond compare). :lol:
Requirements:
I want a top box and panniers (part time panniers).
I want to put 2 helmets in the top box (which I dont want to be a permanent fixture).
When the boxes are off the bike, it would be preferable if the fixing plates & brackets were easily removable or at least not ugly while they are on the bike.
Any suggestions?

Mike.

minivin

Postby minivin » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:26 pm

The BMW panniers came "tops" in the recent sports-tourer test compared to the Honda/Troumph/Ducati supplied kit (says something) and it's only 10 screws to remove the rails and a quick wip-off of the pillion rails if you really insist on removing the original stuff so whats wrong :roll:

Link to Givi Givi but I doubt your get the lids in the panniers and it looks weak on the pannier mounts (I've had pannier frames break that were more sturdier than those!)

while the Nonfango site is utter shite, doesn't pissing work and here's the link for all it's worth fucking italians once again mumble mumble knobs
shitesitenonfango

<edit> ah! and now Nonfucko works now, but they don't do S's so thats that then :wink:
Classic Motorcycle Magazine, Young Motorcyclist of the Year 2003

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:52 pm

Mike

GIVI pics below. I use the E52 Maxia and this easily holds two lids. The rack isn't the prettiest thing but it's not horrendous either.

As for panniers, I think you'd be better off with the BM ones than anything else as they will all be wide due to the rear end of the S. And the givi frames and high indicators look pants IMO.

One word of warning, the weight limit for the GIVI rack when fitted to the S is 3.5kg... I reckon the box itself weighs that so count on it as storage space on arrival rather than for carrying en route. Having tried it with some weight in it I can tell you the pendulum effect is quite exciting.

HTH

Adam
Last edited by adamski49 on Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:45 am

Nope :D I don't recommend luggage for the S - travel light or buy a GS/RT/P*n etc

Lloyd

PS the panniers on the new P*n are far worse internal shape for fitting anything in as they taper towards the front but at least you can fit a decent amount in the topbox.

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:05 am

boxerpan wrote:Nope :D I don't recommend luggage for the S - travel light or buy a GS/RT/P*n etc

Lloyd

PS the panniers on the new P*n are far worse internal shape for fitting anything in as they taper towards the front but at least you can fit a decent amount in the topbox.

When we were in the Alps a guy on a new pan discovered a little plastic/rubber gromit had fallen out of the top box lid and having just ridden through torrential rain his clothes were now nice and damp... not a happy bunny, especially as they were camping. Obviously not aware of the 'pack clothes in poly bags' rule of travel.

No such problems with the Givi / BM combination :D

Adam
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:48 pm

You can get "city covers" for the panniers that thin them down to around the same width as the engine. Well worth it.
non quod, sed quomodo

Boxertools

Postby Boxertools » Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:00 pm

Thank you Adam for the pics.
I like the look of the Givi stuf, so might take a closer look.

Now Lloyd,
With my wife, 2 panniers, a ruck sack, a tank bag, a bum bag & one of those black waterproof roll thingy's stuffed to bursting point. is travelling light!

R/B city lids, that may be a more sensible option than buying new kit.

Thanks youall.

Mike.

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:09 pm

Boxertools wrote:
Now Lloyd,
With my wife, 2 panniers, a ruck sack, a tank bag, a bum bag & one of those black waterproof roll thingy's stuffed to bursting point. is travelling light!

R/B city lids, that may be a more sensible option than buying new kit.

Thanks youall.

Mike.

You haven't got room for a top box :wink: If you are taking all that stuff your helmets still aint gonna fit in a top box even if it's the size of a G*ld W*ng :D
You may borrow my city lids if you want to give them a try, they cut down the volume a lot, so no helmet storage in there either :!:

Lloyd

Return to “Recommended products/services”