Buell anybody

This is the forum for current/former/aspiring 'S owners to discuss their other two wheeled choices.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

steveninary

buell xb

Postby steveninary » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:59 pm

only just joined the forum so im a bit late on this one, but for future reference i have a firebolt xb12r its the most fun on two wheels next to a future purchase of an 1100s, but when i get the s the firebolt will be staying.

servicing is simple and not costly, a few mods help, the belts last well,economical and its a hardly that loves corners

sometimes its a pig when cold, but it must be doing something right as ive done 13,000 miles in 3.5 years and took it to poland for a holiday which we both enjoyed.

ignore the doom and gloom the germans love them and they make bmw's you know.

Boxermed69

Postby Boxermed69 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:50 am

What about one of the last Rotax-engined jobs CF? I had test-ridden an XB12R and liked it, but wanted to try out the newer 1125R/CR (despite the fugly side pod radiator cover things). Phoned on the Weds to book a ride the following week - HD announced they were dropping Buell on the Friday. I got cold feet and didn't bother. Shortly thereafter they were knocking the 1125s out at a heavy discount (£5k or so!).

ISTR Buell reportedly rushed the new bike into production and the fuelling was pants, but was subsequently sorted with a remap. 150 brochure horsepower is what caught my eye (as well as those poxy side pods)

Mike
Horizontally opposed, vertically challenged...

jeznewsome

Postby jeznewsome » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:40 am

1125R and later CR were 'troubled' bikes with a few interesting characteristics (fuelling was never brilliant, water cooled engine meant fuel boiled in the frame on hot days, poor clutch slave cylinder was never really sorted, problems with the alternator stator).

The potential cost of ownership (with the problems and HD ridiculous pricing) was the reason I got rid of my 1125R. LOADS of power available though and good handling.

I still think that the smaller Firebolt (I had mine for 8 years) was a better handling bike and generally a more viable ownership proposition. Still a good looking bike with some great design features.

As noted by bikerhoss the chaps at UKBeg are a great source of knowledge about the brand.

But overall I am pleased I moved to my KTM RC8 and also got the Beemer.

Return to “My other bike's a...”