New York in late September - any pointers?

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

leasky

New York in late September - any pointers?

Postby leasky » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:19 pm

The other half and I have been invited over to New York for a social event at the end of September. We are looking to make the most of the visit and spend about 10 days in the city.

We are staying in a place next to Central Park (except for the weekend of the social event which is in Jersey Shore) but don't mind travelling a bit within the city to get to places.

Having not been before; can I ask for previous knowledge / pointers as to things to see / places to go / things to avoid etc?
Leasky

ianbcr

Re: New York in late September - any pointers?

Postby ianbcr » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:49 pm

Colin, top of my list would be to visit the new 911 museum under the new trade towers having been there just after the twin towers came down and watching all the documentaries on 911. someone told me that if I went again to try a restaurant called jeepers creepers were its like having your meal in a haunted mansion. try and catch a Nicks game. and this site will give you some idea`s. nycgo.com enjoy, I loved the place and said I would go back Christmas time.
Your born with a certain amout of heart beats, Dont waste them on exersise. [smilie=rooster.gif]

04 boxer cup rep. Gone but not forgoten
99 tlr1000 (V twin) tricked.
Indian Roadmaster Elite
Mercedes EQC 400

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:08 pm

Some of the more obvious tips

Statue of Liberty gets booked up weeks ahead so if you want to that book early.
The subway is a brilliant way to get round. Buy a 7 day unlimited ticket.
All the museums are great.
9/11 museum also good but quite heavy if you know what I mean
Staton Island ferry is free and a great way to see the SoL if you're a cheapskate
Don't confine yourself to Manhattan. Theres some great stuff to do/see in other boroughs.
The electrical shops on 5th Avenue can be dodgy - the cheap camera gear is ...cheap.
Groupon works brilliantly in NYC, always good offers on food

I recommend Cabanon http://www.ocabanon.com/about/
and Porterhouse Grill, Lincoln Center right near Columbus Circle

dark_knight87

Postby dark_knight87 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:07 pm

The Intrepid Air and Space Museum is great (if you like that sort of thing!)

https://www.intrepidmuseum.org/

Regards,
Russ
It started badly, it tailed off a little in the middle and the less said about the end the better, but apart from that it was excellent.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:35 pm

AVOID GETTING MUGGED. :oops:

Seriously, sounds exciting ENJOY!

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

SP250

Postby SP250 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:39 am

First went there as a kid (1970) and remember the coach tour with an armed guard when we went through Harlem - strict instructions not to get off the coach while it was stopped in traffic.
Its somewhat better now I hear.
John M

Taz

Postby Taz » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:08 pm

Times Square and while you are there, visit the Hard Rock Cafe.

Also, think about a horse and carriage ride around Central Park (modeled originally on the parks in Birkenhead and Derby). Last time I was there (2010) there was a white carriage, distinguished by a red logo on the door. It was the badge of Liverpool Football Club and speaking to the driver, he was from Liverpool originally. Not only that, he lived 100 yds from where I was in my younger years and went to the same Junior School that i did, one year below me.

Also think about a trip to the top of the Rockefeller building.

There is also a nice cafe in the basement of Trump Tower. - just a little bit pricey.

Go and look at the architecture in Grand Central Station.

If you want to see what a baseball game is like then consider going to watch the Yankees. It's a fantastic stadium
Taz

R1250RS

So when is this 'Old enough to know better' supposed to kick in?

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:36 pm

I love doesn't NY and felt like I had been there before due to seeing so much of it in films, etc

A few ideas in addition to some of the great ones above.

Greenwich Village is fascinating to walk around. Try and book a food tour of Greenwich if you can. A tour of some key food outlets interspersed by a guide giving you a history of the place as you walk.

See a broadway show. Jersey Boys is quite apt and highly entertaining.

Catch the metro down to Battery Park and walk back to Central Park via China Town and Little Italy, midtown, etc.

Have lunch at the Boathouse in Central Park.

Nat his museum, science museum, the cathedral, the Rockefeller buildings, Radiocity, Wall Street are all fascinating places to spend time and watch the world go by.

Bloomingdales, Macey's, the Apple Store (corner of CP) is worth a look just to gaze in awe at the entrance.

Just have a walk through CP and ponder how rediculous the whole place (NY) is.

You'll love it

DT
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

JamesL

Postby JamesL » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:57 pm

You lucky thing, I'm a country bumpkin through & through but I love NYC.

In addition to the great ideas above...

Take out another mortgage and take Tea at the Plaza (you need to book online), just off Central Park. Utterly epic.

And / or breakfast at the Pershing Square Cafe opposite Grand Central. As well as the architecture, check out the food shopping at G/Central.
(PS - they were going to knock it down and it only narrowly survived in its classic form...)

Take out another mortgage and hit 5th Avenue (or just gaze...)

You may have time for a day trip (train) to Washington or Boston? That way you see a bit more of the USofA too.

Eating out is expensive - headline price is all very well but then add service 20%+, and tax, another 15% or so.

BUT even Manhattan has great diners for 'normal' people, and it's possible to a standstill for $30 or so. Ask or your hotel should have a list of decent eateries.

Return to “Boxerbanter”