Lennies carbon air tube fitting question.

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

HarrisBikeNut

Lennies carbon air tube fitting question.

Postby HarrisBikeNut » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:52 am

Upgrading my 2003 BCR currently and eventually go around to fitting the Lennies air tube yesterday. Need some advice re joining the two halves together. The original tube has a flexible joint fixed to one half that the front half slides into. Can anyone advise if I am supposed to remove this joint somehow and reuse, should something else have come with the carbon tube or do I simply use duct tape(??!!!??!) or something else? Searching google images does not make things obvious.

Bob
2003 Randy Mamola BCR
2004 K1200LT
2003 Multistrada 1000
CB500S (sold)
ZZR1100 project.
1995 K1100RS

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of fight in the dog!"

Boxered
Route Master

Re: Lennies carbon air tube fitting question.

Postby Boxered » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:21 am

Hi Bob, yes you use the rubber from your original, a fine blade knife will help to ease it off.

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

HarrisBikeNut

Postby HarrisBikeNut » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:13 pm

Cheers for that. Nurse, scalpel please.....
2003 Randy Mamola BCR
2004 K1200LT
2003 Multistrada 1000
CB500S (sold)
ZZR1100 project.
1995 K1100RS

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of fight in the dog!"

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:37 pm

So the lennies air supply pipe uses the same orifice as the bmw stock one? How can that be an improvement using the same mouth? perhaps someone will come along and enlighten us just how it digests the oxygen supply better? I was curious about this mod 12 years ago and am still not understanding why it is perceived to be better than the stock one?

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

r550s

Postby r550s » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:38 pm

My Induct came with a 50mm length of soft rubber/plastic hose that was just the right size to slip over the front and rear carbon tubes to connect them together. Bit of a fiddle, but it works.
'Hinterachsge' translates as 'rear axle'.(Not 'Differential', so f*** off)

Hay Ewe^

Postby Hay Ewe^ » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:51 am

boxerscott wrote:So the lennies air supply pipe uses the same orifice as the bmw stock one? How can that be an improvement using the same mouth? perhaps someone will come along and enlighten us just how it digests the oxygen supply better? I was curious about this mod 12 years ago and am still not understanding why it is perceived to be better than the stock one?

Chris

I am aware of Ronnies inlet duct but haven't looked at it closely.
i strongly suspect that it is related to the dark art of fluid dynamics (yes, air is a fluid)

if the inlet mouth is the same size, but the internal volume of the inlet duct is larger then the pressure inside the duct will reduce and temperature will drop. My thinking is that as the valves open and the piston is on the intake stroke, because the pressure is lower, and volume larger, the airwill flow in to the cyclinder quicker and more freely. The temperature drop is an advantage but by how much i dont know. I think it might be more of an advantage on a hot day because the differental is greater.

Boyles gas laws will feature in the above as well. As presure increases, so does temperature. If the pressure reduces (due to larger volume of the inlet duct) then the temperature will drop as well. Therefore cooler air going into the cylinder. This is why there are intercoolers between the turbo and inlet manifold on most diesel engines these days (that have a turbo).

What advantages these would be for the average joe on the public road, I dont know, but combined with other mods in the induction system (more free flow air filter) these little amounts all add up.

I fitted the sprockets too my 1150GS just over 1 year ago and it completly transformed the bike, more torque, get up and go, lower rpm and improved fuel range. fitting the inlet duct isn't in my program however, and I dont need any more speed - i need to slow down

The above are my thought from my knowledge and being involved with aircraft and looking at / studying the inlet systems for various aircraft and helicopter engines.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:12 pm

Ok, I understand that and that seems logical but surely the temp differential can not be that much as to make it worthwhile spending on a lennies inlet duct. Did the Duct require a special filter? I know back in the day it was the must have mod, I never went with it, did not see how it could make a toss of difference. Although it was a nice piece of CF moulding that was never to be seen. :?
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Al

Postby Al » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:56 am

Wasn't the air filter modified as well, remember several threads on here and Pelican, "val singleton" mod if I remember correctly, I ran a K&N with mine.

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

HerrFlick

Postby HerrFlick » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:47 pm

Some places are selling only the back half of what they claim to be a "Lennies InDuct". Is a knock-off copy (after Lennie did all the work). Grrrr.
You'll need the front half for full benefit. The aerodynamics of the nose of the original snorkel look less than inspiring, IMHO.

Cheers.

John C.

(Lennies full InDuct).
(Long GS intake runners).
(Shorter GS rear brake stay arm).
Real torque curves don't have a first derivative. :-^)

HerrFlick

Postby HerrFlick » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:52 pm

Al wrote:Wasn't the air filter modified as well, remember several threads on here and Pelican, "val singleton" mod if I remember correctly, I ran a K&N with mine.

Al.

Nope. I use the stock air filter with my InDuct.
Various US places try to flog monster filter arrangements with all sorts of snake-oil claims.

John C.
Real torque curves don't have a first derivative. :-^)

Return to “Boxertech”