K&N Oil Filters Failing

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Grip Fast

K&N Oil Filters Failing

Postby Grip Fast » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:43 pm

Have you guys heard about the catastrophic failure of some K&N oil filters?

I ordered one for my other bike (Tiger 800) a couple of days ago, and received the email that it's on it's way about 5 minutes before reading a thread about folks who have had them fail and dump oil out. It seems that the nut that is brazed on for handy tightening/removal is the problem. The brazing may be damaging the can and after some time, the can springs a leak.

https://www.knfilters.com/mobile/recallkn204

Discussions on some forums would indicate that this problem goes beyond the those covered by the recall.

Boxered
Route Master

Re: K&N Oil Filters Failing

Postby Boxered » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:38 pm

I've heard tales of that nut breaking clean off, leaving no way to remove the remnants of the filter on a R11S as the filter is recessed :shock:
One of the reasons that I always stick to OE consumables.

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

dark_knight87

Postby dark_knight87 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:03 pm

I have used them on my R1150R for the last couple of years - on the R1150R the filter is recessed up into the motor so doesn't stick out of the bottom to get caught - as regard to the nut coming off - oil filters should only be tightened gently and not 'swung on', which I suspect is the issue with the accounts of them being an issue.

Just my opinion!

Regards,
Russ
It started badly, it tailed off a little in the middle and the less said about the end the better, but apart from that it was excellent.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:46 pm

I agree with that. In the past on recessed filters I have had to secure the removal cap/tool with self tappers to get the blighter out. I do not buy k and n filters. Too expensive if you change filter every year regardless of mileage. (like lots of us do.)
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Return to “Boxerbanter”