signing off your work

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

boxerscott

signing off your work

Postby boxerscott » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:14 am

Surgeon signs off his handiwork.... All artists do that don`t they? I`m working up for a rant, people would give anything to have a body part signed by an Artiste!! He gets fined 10,000 quid. patient survives WTF they got it free on NHS!!! some people :)
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

milleplod

Re: signing off your work

Postby milleplod » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:47 pm

Indeed! If I'd had my life saved, or quality of life improved, by a surgeon, I wouldn't give two hoots what he'd carved on my internal bits! :D

The prosecutor said of one of the 'initialled' patients - "There was a very profound impact on that person in terms of distress caused by what happened, the psychological impact". Really? Some people are delicate things, aren't they! :roll:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

SP250

Postby SP250 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:33 pm

Pete

If someone carved their initials onto another person's face, then as a policeman, you would be upholding the rights of the victim and prosecute the perpetrator for GBH, or some other fitting offence.
Some folk are indeed delicate things and a police force is there to protect them if they can't do it themselves.
Just because the initials are internal and can't be seen doesn't make it any different and £10k to a surgeon is loose change.

Chris
They probably paid their taxes the same as most of the rest of us, so the NHS treatment wasn't free.

Just putting the other side of the story you understand.
John M

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:56 pm

SP250 wrote:Pete

If someone carved their initials onto another person's face, then as a policeman, you would be upholding the rights of the victim and prosecute the perpetrator for GBH, or some other fitting offence.
Some folk are indeed delicate things and a police force is there to protect them if they can't do it themselves.
Just because the initials are internal and can't be seen doesn't make it any different and £10k to a surgeon is loose change.

Chris
They probably paid their taxes the same as most of the rest of us, so the NHS treatment wasn't free.

Just putting the other side of the story you understand.

Of course I would have done just that - as you say, that would have been a serious offence....wounding, or wounding with intent.

The surgeon chap was convicted of 'assault by beating', which is a common assault under S39 of the CJA '88 - if I touched you on the arm, for example, that, too, is 'assault by beating' under exactly the same definition. You are entitled, in law, not to have others lay their hands on you. The man is arrogant, sure - but what if he'd slipped slightly with the laser device he was using, and left, say, a 3" long line in the organ? People need to man-up a bit, methinks.

No doubt compensation never came into it..... :roll:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:54 pm

yeah, I agree with both of you, but I do feel the world is full of sensitive souls who are misguided by should and musts. life ain`t fair and no amount of human rights, political correctness will make it fair, Glad I am not a sensitive soul it must be truly heartbreaking not be able to cope with disappointment over something trivial.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:12 pm

I think this misdemeanour came to light because the liver failed and a colleague of his performed the 2nd transplant and spotted the
offending tag, it was brought to the authorities attention and then a theatre nurse came forward and said that she had witnessed this on another of the surgeons patients, it really is assault though isn't it? there is absolutely no reason to do it, and after a few weeks there would no longer be any sign of it as the liver is the only organ in the body that can regenerate itself.

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:31 am

Why is it assault? I would define assault as doing a deliberate job on an individual that causes physical harm as per Sweeney Todd or Dr H Shipman, not signing off a harmless autograph. The plaudits that came in from people who he had done competent surgery on speak for his expertise. Not his fault that the donor organ or the individuals own organ was failing... WTF no wonder NHS is under the Kosh with all these sensitive souls about who make it their existence to moan about their health problems. Life ain`t fair.
Fiat Panda.

Mitch1100

Postby Mitch1100 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:13 am

Along a similar vein..My wife recently had heart surgery..a mitral valve repair. We were amused/perturbed to receive a card for the Annuloplasty Ring inserted, in case of recalls :shock:
2009 HP2 Sport...sold
2006 R1200s with yellow rim tape
2008 Ducati Monster S4RS Tricolore..sold
2004 R1100s BoxerCup Replika..sold
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318/600

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:20 am

Mitch1100 wrote:Along a similar vein..:

Very good, I saw what you did there.. :D

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:51 pm

boxerscott wrote:Why is it assault? I would define assault as doing a deliberate job on an individual that causes physical harm as per Sweeney Todd or Dr H Shipman, not signing off a harmless autograph. The plaudits that came in from people who he had done competent surgery on speak for his expertise. Not his fault that the donor organ or the individuals own organ was failing... WTF no wonder NHS is under the Kosh with all these sensitive souls about who make it their existence to moan about their health problems. Life ain`t fair.

I don't think anyone is questioning his skill as a surgeon, and it is worth noting that it was his colleagues who raised objections to his initials being burnt into the liver, not the patients who were completely unaware, but I do think it is assault because I think you have to ask what his motives were?, if nobody was going to see it, and after a few weeks a healthy liver would have healed and not show any sign of it, then he must have done it for his own gratification? Imagine if he had a female patient out cold under the anesthetic and he decided to have a bit of a fiddle with her genitals, what's the harm? the patient would never know and he would have his kicks and gone on to perform the operation as consented. That would be sexual assault, so burning his initals into the liver is a physical assault to my mind, just because no one was meant to know does make it any less of a crime?

Steve
PS. No snowflakes nwere in any hurt or harmed by this reply :)
Well-weathered leather

Hot metal and oil

The scented country air

Sunlight on chrome

The blur of the landscape

Every nerve aware

Return to “Boxerbanter”