New to BMWs

Please introduce yourself...

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

MickB

New to BMWs

Postby MickB » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:54 pm

Hi everyone, I responded to Neil178 s worst advert in the world and after a lengthy chat and several cups of tea I came away with his 1200s. Thanks Neil. It's always good when both parties leave satisfied with a deal. I have wanted one of these for a while and this time the price was right and the akrapovic was a bonus.

I'd like to say that I have ridden it and am thrilled to bits but I can't for the simple reason that I bought it just before an op to remove some pins from my tibia following a bike crash.

What I can say is that when I see it in the garage I have a big smile on my face and even her indoors was moved to comment that it was "far better looking than I thought it would be", which is high praise indeed. I have had the op today and all has gone swimmingly so just waiting for a a couple of weeks of recovery and a service with the nice Mr Gardner and a new front shaft drive boot to be fitted at the same time and we will be away. It's been nearly a year since I''ve been on a bike so I'm rather looking forward to this.

One question for folks out there. The headers and pipe to the silencer are somewhat discoloured and mottled. Any thought on how best to bring back the original finish?

Any advice gratefully received.

Justcruising

Re: New to BMWs

Postby Justcruising » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:19 pm

Welcome Mick and hope all goes well with the final recovery.

To my knowledge the headers on the R12S are polished stainless steel. I’ve had good results using Autosol metal polish (also their stainless steel polish), assisted with a length of natural fibre rope (or even narrow synthetic webbed strap) wrapped around the header pipe and a LOT of physical effort & sweat :x . BUT got there in the end, and the polished finish can be maintained with the occasional follow up, otherwise over time they naturally go back to the drab brown finish. Good luck! :D

PS: you might want to add your location ... can help with recommending assistance etc in the future.
2006 R1200S (Magma-Red/titan-silver) - Michelin PR4s, Akrapovic slip-on silencer, Ohlin suspension, Ilmberger Carbon hugger & Carbon valve-covers, Corbin seat.

2010 R1200R
2004 R1200C Montauk

MickB

Postby MickB » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:47 am

Yes that would probably help in the future. It's near Preston, Lancashire in North West England. The headers are also titanium as someone fitted a full system, not just the silencer.

Nice to here from you

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:47 am

I googled it - there are as many ways of cleaning titanium exhaust as there are posts.

WD40, WD40 and wire wool, Solvol autolsol and wire wool, solvol and a green scouring pad, wonderwheels followed by solvol take your pick.

What seems apparent is that as soon as you ide it again they will discolour again :D
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:49 am

Welcome. There is some Solvol stuff to clean titanium - I'll find out what it's called when I go in the garage. I wouldn't worry too much tho, they will indeed revert to "manky brown"
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

MickB

Postby MickB » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:47 am

Yes I found all the internet stuff as well just wondered what people here were using. I'm not looking for squeaky clean just a uniform colour would be nice. I'll start to try out a few of the suggested methods on the underside and go from there. the name of the solvol product would be useful tho' when your next in the garage.

Time for insurance quotes today.

Many thanks

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:19 am

MickB wrote:Yes I found all the internet stuff as well just wondered what people here were using. I'm not looking for squeaky clean just a uniform colour would be nice. I'll start to try out a few of the suggested methods on the underside and go from there. the name of the solvol product would be useful tho' when your next in the garage.

Time for insurance quotes today.

Many thanks

Solvol bluing remover - not cheap tho :shock:
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Yam SR 500 long term restoration

wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Return to “New Trixters?”