Long range fuel tank

PRIVATE sales only please.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Pete.

Long range fuel tank

Postby Pete. » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:59 pm

I have a fuel tank for sale, it holds 24.2 litres when filled to the very brim and gives a potential range exceeding 230 miles depending on how you ride. The furthest I've been myself is 234miles with about half a litre left. My riding is all heavy traffic and filtering so a frugal rider on open roads might get another 10 or 15 miles.

It will ONLY fit non-abs models and you have to modify your battery carrier to allow the ECU to lay flat, a fairly trivial matter. If your bike WAS abs but the pump is removed you'll have to re-locate the ABS control box. If it was never ABS it's an easy fit.

I used this on my own bike for many miles. I'm selling it because I have made one with even greater range. This is the bare tank only, you have to swap over your own pump plate and other fittings.

£100 plus post ONO

Pete.

Postby Pete. » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:42 pm

Now sold, thanks.

Neil178

Postby Neil178 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:09 am

Even more range?
Don't you like to stop for a coffee and check face book?

Karl1000

Re: Long range fuel tank

Postby Karl1000 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:52 pm

Pete. wrote:I have a fuel tank for sale, it holds 24.2 litres when filled to the very brim and gives a potential range exceeding 230 miles depending on how you ride. The furthest I've been myself is 234miles with about half a litre left. My riding is all heavy traffic and filtering so a frugal rider on open roads might get another 10 or 15 miles.

It will ONLY fit non-abs models and you have to modify your battery carrier to allow the ECU to lay flat, a fairly trivial matter. If your bike WAS abs but the pump is removed you'll have to re-locate the ABS control box. If it was never ABS it's an easy fit.

I used this on my own bike for many miles. I'm selling it because I have made one with even greater range. This is the bare tank only, you have to swap over your own pump plate and other fittings.

£100 plus post ONO

Hi Pete,

I have now bought this tank from Simon. Can you tell me when the reserve light comes on - ie how many litres are left?

Thanks

Karl

GerryB

Postby GerryB » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:16 am

Karl1000 wrote:
Hi Pete,

I have now bought this tank from Simon. Can you tell me when the reserve light comes on - ie how many litres are left?

Thanks

Karl

I'd say , safest bet would be to run it till light comes on , then you would know for sure on your bike.

I've had three R1100S's and all put light on at different mileage ....

Varied by about 15 miles ....
Old man ... now .
Ex Off Road & Enduro Rider...

Karl1000

Postby Karl1000 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:14 pm

GerryB wrote:
Karl1000 wrote:
Hi Pete,

Thanks

Karl

I'd say , safest bet would be to run it till light comes on , then you would know for sure on your bike.

I've had three R1100S's and all put light on at different mileage ....

Varied by about 15 miles ....

Hi Pete,

I get that, but what I mean is that with the extra capacity, does the light still come on after about 14 litres (say ~ 150 miles at the moment for me). If so, you would then have to run it for around 100 miles on reserve to use most of the capacity...? Ie you’d still have ~ 10l left??

Kind regards

Karl

GerryB

Postby GerryB » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:32 pm

I don't know what type of sensor it has , if its pressure , it will still come on at 5 litres +/-
Old man ... now .

Ex Off Road & Enduro Rider...

MR SHEEN

Postby MR SHEEN » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:25 am

I found with one of Wingers tanks the fuel light comes on around 160 depending on how you’ve been riding which leaves 7/8 litres.
A CLEAN MACHINE IS A HAPPY MACHINE

Karl1000

Postby Karl1000 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:30 pm

Ok thanks, will do some research!

Pete.

Postby Pete. » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:17 pm

Karl,

Sorry for the (very) delayed response I've been working long hours most of this year and not checked in on the forum much.

I'm sure you have worked it out by now but for the future reference of anyone else wondering if you fill the tank to the very brim (I drilled the filler neck to allow the maximum amount of fuel in mine) the fuel light will come on at about 180-190 miles and there will be about 50 miles left in the tank. This is for extra-urban commuting use which tends to knock the consumption up a bit. On a steady, conservatively-paced run you might get 200 miles out of it before the light and run it dry around 250 miles. Whichever way, watch for the light then allow 40 miles and you'll never run out.

Pete.

Return to “Bits'n'bobs for sale”