Coil part numbers

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

victorlaszlo

Coil part numbers

Postby victorlaszlo » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:08 pm

I read somewhere the (upper) coils have been revised at least three times with superseeding part numbers.

Does anyone have the absolute latest numbers bot for the lower as well as the upper coils fitting an R12S?

Bonus question - when was this design abandoned, with the water cooled engines?

Cheers Victor

milleplod

Re: Cool part numbers

Postby milleplod » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:30 pm

Hi Victor.

The latest part number I can see for the upper coils is 12137715853 - that supercedes 12137680644 and 12137671896.

Latest for the lower right is 12137715856 - it supercedes 12137696510, 12137692262 and 12137676572.

Latest for lower left is 12137715855 - it supercedes 12137696509, 12137692261 and 12137676571.

They're listed for the S up to the end of production as well as the R, RT, ST and GS/GSA.

I think the watercooled bikes still use the coil system, just the upper ones though and with different part numbers.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

victorlaszlo

Postby victorlaszlo » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:44 pm

Thanks Pete - so even an upper from a water-cooled bike should work?

By the way is there a way of editing the topic as coil was auto corrected to cool?

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:50 pm

victorlaszlo wrote:Thanks Pete - so even an upper from a water-cooled bike should work?

By the way is there a way of editing the topic as coil was auto corrected to cool?

I think, but I'm not 100% certain, that the coils on the w/c bikes are a different size to earlier ones....they may be too short (or too long, for that matter!). :lol:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

victorlaszlo

Postby victorlaszlo » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:36 pm

milleplod wrote:
victorlaszlo wrote:Thanks Pete - so even an upper from a water-cooled bike should work?

I think, but I'm not 100% certain, that the coils on the w/c bikes are a different size to earlier ones....they may be too short (or too long, for that matter!). :lol:

Pete

I'm considering doing the remote install when I get new ones, did you or anyone else on here try that?

victorlaszlo

Re: Coil part numbers

Postby victorlaszlo » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:19 pm

victorlaszlo

Postby victorlaszlo » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:10 pm

Would this fit? Listed for 2010 GSA but looks identical...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Black-Hi ... Sw2JJbOcQl

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:44 pm

victorlaszlo wrote:Would this fit? Listed for 2010 GSA but looks identical...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Black-Hi ... Sw2JJbOcQl

It may well do, but it does seem cheap....suspiciously so! Even cheaper on Amazon btw.... :shock: I suspect, but don't know, that it will be a Chinese copy - the seller's feedback shows he's sold quite a few car coils, no mention of anyone having bought a boxer one though. Motorworks list separate numbers for the GS up to late '09, then from late '09 onwards, so something's different about the later ones.....

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

victorlaszlo

Postby victorlaszlo » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:17 pm

Apparently also bmw is manufacturing them in China now so probably from the same factory but unbranded, I'm not worried about quality, there's 12 months of warranty, but will they fit? :?

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:20 pm

victorlaszlo wrote:Apparently also bmw is manufacturing them in China now so probably from the same factory but unbranded, I'm not worried about quality, there's 12 months of warranty, but will they fit? :?

I think there's only the one way to find that out! :lol: Distance Selling Regs will let you send it back anyway, just because you've 'changed your mind', so you've got nothing to lose.... :D

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

victorlaszlo

Postby victorlaszlo » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:32 pm

milleplod wrote:
victorlaszlo wrote:Apparently also bmw is manufacturing them in China now so probably from the same factory but unbranded, I'm not worried about quality, there's 12 months of warranty, but will they fit? :?

I think there's only the one way to find that out! :lol: Distance Selling Regs will let you send it back anyway, just because you've 'changed your mind', so you've got nothing to lose.... :D

Pete

I asked and their response was:

The product is suitable for BMW R1200GS ADVENTURE 2008.
It is produced in China's famous OE factory, and our factory also provides a large number of ignition coils to many motorcycle factories.
Our product provides 12 months of quality assurance,If the product is damaged within 12 months, we can exchange it, but the damage does not include man-made damage and damage caused by operation error.

So a pair is on its way :)

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:36 pm

As you say then, quite possibly 'genuine' ones that have....ahem....walked out of the factory back door! :) Do report back - if they do fit the earlier bikes, I'll order a pair too. All we need now is some similarly-priced lowers! :wink:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

victorlaszlo

Postby victorlaszlo » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:33 pm

Received them, fitted them, finish a bit rougher than bmw's but who's going to look at them?

They weren't having the isolating rubber piece so I removed the old ones and fitted, might silicone them on one day when I have time.

Took them for an hours spin around the neighbourhood annoying the neighbours but only managed to get to 4/6 on the temp meter.

They work very well, I think this is as good as the engine has ever been, still not as nice tick over as the 11S though but still very good.

Time will tell how they hold up...

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:52 pm

victorlaszlo wrote:Received them, fitted them, finish a bit rougher than bmw's but who's going to look at them?

They weren't having the isolating rubber piece so I removed the old ones and fitted, might silicone them on one day when I have time.

Took them for an hours spin around the neighbourhood annoying the neighbours but only managed to get to 4/6 on the temp meter.

They work very well, I think this is as good as the engine has ever been, still not as nice tick over as the 11S though but still very good.

That's good to hear then. :) I ordered a pair yesterday, I'll carry them on the bike just in case.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

victorlaszlo

Postby victorlaszlo » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:06 pm

milleplod wrote:
victorlaszlo wrote:Received them, fitted them, finish a bit rougher than bmw's but who's going to look at them?

That's good to hear then. :) I ordered a pair yesterday, I'll carry them on the bike just in case.

Pete

I asked them about the lowers saying many would be interested, they asked "how many, we'll enquire".

Send them a text asking if they can get lowers, attaching a photo and it might happen :)

Return to “Boxertech”