Vintage bikes.

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

boxerscott

Vintage bikes.

Postby boxerscott » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:25 pm

Have spent a really nice weekend down in South Yorkshire, had a couple of reet good neets with friends in Sheff. We had a day out in Castleton, did a bit of subterranean stuff, water was at a staggering 2 deg c however the sun shone up above and watching the world go by I noted the amount of vintage/classic stuff potting about. Thought how relevant it all was and how these bikes are perfect for such dale/peak roads and how irrelevant the 170bhp plus bikes generally are for our roads. The old British bikes sound just perfect. Do not think this is a nostalgia attack, it aint. I actually believe it and am feeling the itch to go over to the Dark Side. :)

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

SP250

Re: Vintage bikes.

Postby SP250 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:09 pm

Have a chat with Steve then Chris, they sell Harleys downstairs from his BMW showroom if you really want the Dark Side.
Old Brit iron is just the oily side - usually on the outside, instead of where it is rumoured it does more good on the inside!
John M

weaselonastick

Postby weaselonastick » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:52 am

Chris,
Go for it. Get another vintage bike on the road.
I absolutely love my vintage bikes. And in the right situation, they are the best thing to ride; they make the right sound, get the most attention, and (usually) put a smile on my face.
But it ain't all sunshine and rainbows.
Keeping vintage bikes running is hard work; they require regular fettling to keep them running right.
Old electrics, points, main & pilot jets, cables, chains & sprockets, varying fuel quality, ambient temperature, etc... for me it's always a bit of a lottery which bike will start, depending upon one or several of the above factors.
There's nothing like jumping on the R11S, pressing the button, and riding away.
So I think the best solution is to have one (relatively) modern bike in the shed to be the fallback position, should the others let me down.
Have fun,
Mike
2004 BMW R1100S
1982 Piaggio PX125E
1972 Kawasaki H1B
1970 Yamaha XS1
1970 Yamaha R5
1970 Honda CB750K0
1965 Ducati Sebring

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:18 pm

Oily side indeed John! TBQH I was thinking of cheating and getting a modern retro lookie alikeey. There are some Harleys in the range that are resonating with me too. Afraid the cost of modern tech laden new bikes is putting me off also 50mph speed zones, safety cameras fixed or mobile, traffic control humps, poorly maintained roads, double white lines, congestion etc. The only place to extract anywhere near full potential is the race track. All that bhp bollox is now seeming pointless.

The labour of love that goes into an old brit sounds quite daunting. Rewarding I bet if you get them up to concourse condition.

Chris.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:16 pm

If I were to go vintage it would be modern retro Vintage and therefore probably an Enfield 350 as I m told that the 350 is smoother than the 500. Or perhaps the new 650 twin that's coming.
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

Neil178

Postby Neil178 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:46 pm

There is a guy on PistonHeads that has just splashed a load of money for a 1939 Levis 350. It is a thing of beauty having been restored by the museum he bought it from.
The only thing I don’t like about it is the new shiny nuts and bolts. I didn’t say anything, not wanting to pee on his strawberries, but I would’ve had the original hardware tarted up to look less brand new.
It certainly does make you think about the pleasure a local ride on the back roads can give you vs the worry of points/ban on the latest crutch rocket.
I think I’m getting old!

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:59 pm

Chris,

Next time you are heading south on your bike to visit the continent, make some time to visit the Sammy Miller motorcycle museum in the New Forest. That should give you plenty of food for thought. All of those bikes are beautifully restored and the vast majority, if not all, are runners.

cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:06 pm

Paul wrote:Chris,

Next time you are heading south on your bike to visit the continent, make some time to visit the Sammy Miller motorcycle museum in the New Forest. That should give you plenty of food for thought. All of those bikes are beautifully restored and the vast majority, if not all, are runners.

cheers,

Paul
That is worth a visit on its own merit Paul and is on my to do list. Perhaps when/if Popsky puts up next years Devon ride we will do this.
Am also liking the imported Royal Enfield brand. I saw one on Monday with saddle bags, single seat and a right dandy looking chavver on it. How cool thought I.

Chris
Fiat Panda.

ianbcr

Postby ianbcr » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:19 pm

Your born with a certain amout of heart beats, Dont waste them on exersise. [smilie=rooster.gif]

04 boxer cup rep. Gone but not forgoten
99 tlr1000 (V twin) tricked.
Indian Roadmaster Elite
Mercedes EQC 400

dark_knight87

Postby dark_knight87 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:10 pm

This is me and my 1953 BSA A10 'Golden Flash' :-
Attachments
IMG_8398 - Small.JPG
IMG_8398 - Small.JPG (500.33 KiB) Viewed 11755 times
It started badly, it tailed off a little in the middle and the less said about the end the better, but apart from that it was excellent.

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:38 pm

boxerscott wrote:
Paul wrote:Chris,

/quote]
Am also liking the imported Royal Enfield brand. I saw one on Monday with saddle bags, single seat and a right dandy looking chavver on it. How cool thought I.

Chris

I've owned 2 Indian Enfields since '02 , a 350 4 speed which I had for about 7 years and at the time I said never again !! and currently a 5 speed 500 which I bought as a project and has stubbornly remained as a rolling project. Each time I think , "This is nice" it manages to bite the hand that feeds it,. Speaking to Reoc members locally even new UCE fuel injected ones seem to have dubious build quality and reliability.
Even so I have managed to clock up about 10k kms , so maybe not as bad as I think .
My most recent addition is an '06 carbed Triumph Bonneville , it's early days yet, but plenty of low down grunt , good brakes , handles well , and can cover ground quickly if necessary, has a petrol tap with a reserve position , no ABS, and spoked wheels ( unfortunately with tubes) for that true classic experience if and when i suffer a puncture!!.
ImageSAM_1108 (2) by Nigel Burgess, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0634 (2) by Nigel Burgess, on Flickr

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:53 pm

Loving the BSA and beautiful brickwork, by any chance is that Pickering North Yorks? just a guess with the ww2 window masking.

The Bonnie looks better without the top box Nigel.

Chris
Fiat Panda.

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:59 pm

boxerscott wrote:

Chris

The bike with the top box is my Enfield.... ( the top box is required for all those "in case I need them spares")

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

dark_knight87

Postby dark_knight87 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:43 pm

[quote="boxerscott"]Loving the BSA and beautiful brickwork, by any chance is that Pickering North Yorks? just a guess with the ww2 window masking.

Chris - The photo was taken outside of the Severn Valley Railway Station in Kidderminster. They were having a 1940's weekend at the time!

Regards,
Russ
It started badly, it tailed off a little in the middle and the less said about the end the better, but apart from that it was excellent.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:22 am

nab 301 wrote:
boxerscott wrote:

Chris

The bike with the top box is my Enfield.... ( the top box is required for all those "in case I need them spares")
:lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:

I should have known better

Chris
Fiat Panda.

Return to “Boxerbanter”