Subframe brackets

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

cjvoles

Re: Subframe brackets

Postby cjvoles » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:02 pm

Got to admit Chris the more I read about it I am worried about any welded repair

big rob

Postby big rob » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:04 pm

Sounds like you're stuck between a rock & a hard place.
Last edited by big rob on Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:38 pm

At the risk of overemphasising the view:

You can weld the original lugs or new ones on - with full chamfering on frame and lug, but I don’t know anyone who actually ensures that there is full penetration of the weld. When additional gusset-plates are added, people will tell you that it is now much stronger, but the likelihood is - that they are merely introducing stress-raisers in the hard-to-get areas.

We all take risks with biking, but those risks are always against a backstop of INSURANCE.

Yes, those lugs in original condition - will not survive a decent crash, but at least when the Insurance Loss Adjuster turns up - he can see that the bike has not been bodged before.

In the event of a large 3rd party claim - It may be levelled at you, that the frame lugs let go, and caused the crash rather than the effect of the crash. If I was an underwriter and found that you had a weld repair to the frame, which was not supported with a full QA pack - I might have £2m of incentive to to pursue that avenue. Sure - they pay out the money to the 3rd party, but they then seek to recover that money from you.

Or - you are off on your hols with wife and full luggage on the bike. You hit a pothole which in itself - might have only caused a damaged wheel, a wobble and a change of pants. Instead - your “great weld repair” lets go........... and the pair of you hit the oncoming traffic at a closing speed of 100mph (assuming both doing the measly speed of 50)

Sure, you CAN repair the lugs/frame, with full supporting QA pack, but I think it is still something to advise your Insurer of - and they will decide if they want your business.

As Detective Callaghan would say: “Well, Do you feel lucky?” :?

Al :)
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

cjvoles

Postby cjvoles » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:22 pm

Ok then after reading your replies I think I would only be happy with a new frame. Do you think this could be a insurance claim as although it is a Boxercup it makes the bike worthless without it being properly repaired or written off

Hay Ewe^

Postby Hay Ewe^ » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:51 am

I would be carefull with an insurance claim
they are unemotional and ruthless and may jsut write off the machine,
OR it may get classified in such a way that its hard to put on the road.
I dont know that the legalities are about swapping frames

The alternate is to buy another 1100S of any kind and transfer everything over - but then the VIN wouldnt match what it was actually built as, but the components are an S-bike.
Works that way with Helicopters (yes, I made that very simple and basic)

seek proper guidance for clarification

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:16 pm

Hay Ewe^ wrote:I would be carefull with an insurance claim
they are unemotional and ruthless and may jsut write off the machine,
OR it may get classified in such a way that its hard to put on the road.
I dont know that the legalities are about swapping frames

The alternate is to buy another 1100S of any kind and transfer everything over - but then the VIN wouldnt match what it was actually built as, but the components are an S-bike.
Works that way with Helicopters (yes, I made that very simple and basic)

seek proper guidance for clarification
Uk requirements re framing, ie taking a salvage frame with a different id to original will be highlighted at MOT unless it has been re registered with new details then the bike loses its age identity by going on a Q pre fix plate, For example everyone knows it is a bitsa. If it is a hack and of no value , who cares, if it has provenance and is of some value then new frame from manufacturer with same id as original. That is the law in UK. Second hand frames are not really worth what advertisers ask for them they are in fact scrap value only. This law is to help prevent bike theft and other re build issues re safety and conformity ( I guess) MOT do a leaflet on reframing vehicles and what the requirements are.. My view is those top casting lugs for the sub frame attachment are not fit for purpose and BMW are culpable. You have a very rigid cast C frame and a very flexible tubular sub frame carrying zorst rider, pillion and luggage. Not good, they have not done the structural mechanical calcs properly. Those lugs are overloaded when above normal torsional, bending and shear moments occur. They may have got the factor of safety guess wrong.

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Return to “Boxertech”