An opportunity to show your bikes in all their glory

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

The Teutonic Tangerine

Bike "Dash Cam"

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:47 am

Recently fitted one of these.
Bike Cam.png
Bike Cam.png (137.07 KiB) Viewed 11019 times

Here's some footage from last weekend from the front camera. (Rear camera footage is the same quality but just weird to watch)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-nX-pKWD7s

You can have the screen blank while riding and you could also mount the unit in the tail piece or under the seat. Its about the size of an I phone 6 but a little thicker - so not a huge unit to mount.

Its not hi-definition but as an accident camera system, IMHO, its good value. £30 plus a memory card.
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

dark_knight87

Re: Bike "Dash Cam"

Postby dark_knight87 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:18 pm

I have used a Drift Stealth 2 camera on my helmet for a couple of years, unfortunately water got in following on of the storms we had in October and it stopped working. I have however just purchased a cheap Chinese GoPro knock off to replace it:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Campark-ACT7 ... 2749.l2649

I have found that 1080p at 30fps gives the best quality when on bike but will have to see how this camera fairs!

Here is my YouTube channel if anyone is interested:-

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpxV0o ... subscriber

Regards,
Russ
It started badly, it tailed off a little in the middle and the less said about the end the better, but apart from that it was excellent.

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:21 pm

I have the same unit, still to fit.

They power on and off automatically with the ignition (if you choose) and the newest segment overwrites the oldest - when the 32gb card is full.

Well worth it.
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:30 pm

Blackal wrote:I have the same unit, still to fit.

They power on and off automatically with the ignition (if you choose) and the newest segment overwrites the oldest - when the 32gb card is full.

Well worth it.

Indeed they do if you pick up a switched supply (I stole my power supply from the Auxiliary socket on the RT's fairing which I never use. I cut the wire leaving a couple of inches tail on the socket so I can re-join if I want to. Then I soldered and shrink wrapped the cable from the camera to the supply / earth. - result camera comes on with ignition.
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:32 pm

The Teutonic Tangerine wrote:
Blackal wrote:I have the same unit, still to fit.

Well worth it.

Indeed they do if you pick up a switched supply (I stole my power supply from the Auxiliary socket on the RT's fairing which I never use. I cut the wire leaving a couple of inches tail on the socket so I can re-join if I want to. Then I soldered and shrink wrapped the cable from the camera to the supply / earth. - result camera comes on with ignition.

The Files overwrite when the card is full. Front and rear files are stored in separate folders on the card but with corresponding file names (references) so that you can match them up if you need to.

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:25 pm

A covert dashcam is I think - a must these days on a bike.

Dashcam on display in your car- is also almost de rigeur, and allows you to capture things like this (In my X-Trail towing my bike on the trailer on the M6) My speed would be 65mph.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3lkl8dlz6ih0n ... -.avi?dl=0

Al :)

See if that works .....

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:56 am

That link refused to play - maybe my work computer's security blocked it.

I also have front and rear cameras on both our cars.

The front one is built into a unit that attaches to the rear view mirror It has a wide angle "blue" anti dazzle mirror with a built in screen and is also the recording unit with the memory card. The rear camera can be wired into the live side of the reversing lamp and when reversing the image pops up on screen pops up with the rear view making it into a reversing camera.

dash cam.png
dash cam.png (217.62 KiB) Viewed 10960 times

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:55 pm

The vid showed to users on a different forum - it’s worth a watch.

I will fit a reversing camera to my next car, but just hooked up to a switch - to keep an eye on the trailer/bike when towing.

You almost need a 360deg camera now.

See if that works .....

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:36 pm

Blackal wrote:The vid showed to users on a different forum - it’s worth a watch.

Unfortunately , that's pretty normal these days , certainly in my part of the world and on sunny weekends not just confined to 4 wheels..

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:36 pm

Used the Drift Stealth 2 myself for a while until the non replaceable battery went. got the Drift Ghost X now with an extra battery pack. £129 for the camera with a standard 5 hour battery and £29 for an 8 hour battery. Good footage if helmet mounted.
10 KTM RC8

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:42 pm

Blackal wrote:A covert dashcam is I think - a must these days on a bike.

Dashcam on display in your car- is also almost de rigeur, and allows you to capture things like this (In my X-Trail towing my bike on the trailer on the M6) My speed would be 65mph.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3lkl8dlz6ih0n ... -.avi?dl=0

Al :)
I think by your own admission you will find that you were speeding :wink:
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Return to “Boxerpix”