11S fuel filter challenge

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

big rob

11S fuel filter challenge

Postby big rob » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:02 pm

Following the recent starting woes on me BCR, today I decided to strip the fairing/ tank off the beast to investigate further. Whilst the tank was off decided to fit the new fuel filter I bought some time ago :oops: After lots of swearing and head scratching Mrs. Big Rob & I managed to wrestle the ORIGINAL (dated 22-03-04) filter out & install spangly new Mahl filter then shoe-horn fuel pump assembly back into tank. Whoever invented that system was clearly having a laugh :lol: :lol:

Anyway, bloody bike has been starting no problem this week and couldn't find anything obvious as to why it was playing-up?
No doubt it will be fine until I'm miles from anywhere before it decides to test us again.

Cheers,
Rob & Gail :)

Mitch1100

Re: 11S fuel filter challenge

Postby Mitch1100 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:03 pm

My 1st 1100s had an external filter fitted..much easier :wink:
2009 HP2 Sport...sold
2006 R1200s with yellow rim tape
2008 Ducati Monster S4RS Tricolore..sold
2004 R1100s BoxerCup Replika..sold
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318/600

stevesilver

Postby stevesilver » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:24 am

Have to agree, removing the fuel filter could not possible any harder. Why why why is the opening to get the pump/filter assembly in/out so frigging SMALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its also by a million miles the hardest ever tank to remove from the bike FFS

2Twins

Postby 2Twins » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:13 pm

Hello all,
Happy New Year from someone who has recently become a very pleased owner of a R1100S. Great to have a forum like this for sharing information - many thanks to Bob for directing me here.
I’m about to take the fuel filter challenge and would be very grateful for any hints or guidance please? There are a few YouTube clips which have helped but thought I’d ask here too.
Would clothes pegs hold the vent pipes whilst the filter is exchanged? Will jubilee clips be suitable replacements for the fuel pipe clips attached to the filter? As well as replacing the air filter, is there any other thing to check or replace when the tank is off, given that it’s quite a task to open up this much of the bikes internals?
Many thanks for your cooperation and lots of happy riding in 2019.
Cheers
2Twins

PS I’ve removed a sat nav mount from my bike if anyone can use it? It was on the strut forward of the clocks and has a cable and Garmin box, fuse and battery leads.
PPS I’m keen to find a small tank bag for my bike, preferably without a tank cover attachment. If anyone knows of one for sale, please let me know?

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:48 am

Fuel filters are funny things: First one I changed on my 1100s I cut open and unravelled the element - one side was a greeny khaki colour the inlet side was black - so yours dated 2004 was probably clogged so not allowing full fuel pressure.

Another incident was with a Diesel car - several times when asking for full throttle the engine switched itself off. As it was an auto you had to stop , pu it into neutral and have your foot on the brake to re start it. Not clrever when it sips on a slip road to a motorway .

I have it plugged into diagnostics and was told "it show the fuel system over pressuring which cause thenegine to shurt down. they were no help in diagnosing geh cause. However I changed the ful filter and hey presto no more problems.

Conclusion the filter was blocked an when asking for full cack the system over pressurised - so your bike not starting and then starting with a new filter is entirely plausible to me.
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

Jeff Highland

Postby Jeff Highland » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:57 pm

2Twins
Don't use Jubilee clamps ( the worm drive type) They can cut into the hose over time.
Use the original crimp on type or fuel injection rated screw type

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:58 pm

Jeff Highland wrote:2Twins
Don't use Jubilee clamps ( the worm drive type) They can cut into the hose over time.
Use the original crimp on type or fuel injection rated screw type

I think most folks on here who change their filters don't do anything clever with the clips you just pull the pipe, clip and all, off the filter and then shove it on the new filter
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

Jeff Highland

Postby Jeff Highland » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:10 pm

The original clips are a crimp on type which cannot be reused
They work well and are not bulky but you need to crimp them using cv boot pliers or the like

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:36 am

Jeff Highland wrote:The original clips are a crimp on type which cannot be reused

I beg to differ having changed three filters (two of them external on R1200ST much better idea than inside the tank) and one on an 1100S :D

SP250

Postby SP250 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:06 am

Is it easy to fit an external filter on an 11S - I have never done one and the bike is up to 34,000 ish miles.
It was full dealer seviced up until 2012 would they have changed it? Only a few miles on it since then.
John M

slparry

Postby slparry » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:07 pm

SP250 wrote:Is it easy to fit an external filter on an 11S - I have never done one and the bike is up to 34,000 ish miles.
It was full dealer seviced up until 2012 would they have changed it? Only a few miles on it since then.

I had a 50000 miles R1150GS a few years ago John, with full service history by several respected dealers in and around London.

The bike had a whining fuel pump and I resigned myself to buying a replacement and was looking for one on eBay.

However, as the service kit from Motorworks included the fuel filter I thought I'd change it, I was surprised to find the date stamped on the fitted filter to be the year of manufacture of the bike.

Once the new one was fitted there was no whining from the fuel pump, so it was an almost blocked filter the pump was complaining of.

Out of curiosity I cut the old filter in half, I've rarely seen an oil filter so blocked, compressed and crushed.

So much for 50000 miles of dealer services!

Fitting an external filter on a GS is piss easy so the 11S should be the same, from memory some copper piping gets installed inside to connect the parts the filter would live in and the filter gets mounted onto the fuel line to the injectors outside

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread ... uel-filter
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Jeff Highland

Postby Jeff Highland » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:20 pm

SP250

Postby SP250 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:26 pm

Thanks Steve & Jeff
Another job to add to the list!
John M

2Twins

Postby 2Twins » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:30 pm

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. I managed to replace the air and fuel filters without too many issues. The YouTube clips were very useful. My bike doesn’t have the fuel line clips so I had a minor fuel spillage but managed to catch most of it.
I marked the pipes from the tank to ensure I replaced them in the same way before disconnecting them from the pump. Remember to replace the tank seal when you’ve removed the pump from the tank. Note the fuel flow direction of the filter before removing the old one. I managed to re-use the hose clips but wish I’d ordered new ones now. Unlike the YouTube clips, my fuel gauge is a cylinder with a float inside instead of the cistern style which would make pump extraction an even greater challenge. Removing the fairing was fairly easy but many of the bolts are starting to round so a new set will be on the shopping list.

Cheers
2Twins

2Twins

Postby 2Twins » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:22 pm

I discovered I’d messed up replacing my fuel hoses yesterday, when fuel started spraying out of one of the black pipes to the fuel regulator. It seems that when I wrestled the pipe into the hose, I used pliers which caused a tiny hole. I should have used a small amount of lubricant and stretched the hose end slightly. I fixed it by using a longer piece of hose and extending it over the leak. Phew! I also replaced the hose clips with Motorworks supplied jubilee types. They are much easier to work with.

Cheers
2Twins

Return to “Boxertech”