Certificate of Conformity Charges

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Pete.

Re: Certificate of Conformity Charges

Postby Pete. » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:51 pm

WELL.

I put a query in to BMW Motorrad the other day and just got an email back saying that they can't supply emissions information for my bike because they didn't do emissions testing on bikes back then.

Wasn't expecting that...

Boxermed69

Postby Boxermed69 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:26 am

Pete. wrote:WELL.

I put a query in to BMW Motorrad the other day and just got an email back saying that they can't supply emissions information for my bike because they didn't do emissions testing on bikes back then.

Wasn't expecting that...

Hmmm, interesting Pete. I've just had a butcher's at my C of C. My 1200S, like Phil's, was manufactured in 2006. Exhaust emission numbers (g/km) for CO2, HC and NOx are listed, as well CO % by vol.

Mike
Horizontally opposed, vertically challenged...

Pete.

Postby Pete. » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:49 am

Turns out that some of the people who man the customer service desk don't really know what they are on about. I sent a reply querying the response and got a response from someone who was more clued in. He's given me another email to contact. All I got was a message back abut high volumes so far but hopefully they will be more useful than following g that MAG link.

KeithW

Postby KeithW » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:30 pm

Just had confirmation from TFL that my 2003 11s is exempt from the ULEZ charge due to start in April.

Happy Days

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:10 pm

Paste and copy from UKGSer, might be of use to some -

This can help R1150GS owners with twin spark models, or the owner of any vehicle that meets emission standards but needs to prove it to TFL. I was asked for a 'certificate of conformity' by TFL. BMW are charging £120 to send you one. The method described below works and today I had official TFL recognition that my bike will not be subject to the charge.
It costs nothing to obtain this, and is legal. Please pass on to others. Here's how:

I wrote to BWM at
eccoc@bmw.co.uk saying I wanted a certificate of conformity relating to the London ULEZ zone and provided my name and bike reg.
I got a generic reply saying they would get back to me.
Two days later they sent a mail requesting a scanned copy of my V5 which I sent.
Four days after that I got an email from BMW containing two pdf files.
One pdf was a request from for BMW to send me a printable version and include a£120 fee and proof or ownership etc.
The other pdf file was called ‘CARDO-prod-MOT.Manuelles...’
If you open this one you will have a four page pdf document with ‘Duplikat’ stamped over it like a watermark.
As pdf files are often difficult if not impossible to print without subscriptions or special apps, the trick is to take a screen shot on your computer of pages 1 and 2 (page 1 has your VIN number, page 2 the exhaust emissions info’ TFL need to see).
Then crop your screen shots to make them appear as if they are scans/printable versions.
I relabelled them as ‘Certificate of conformity- parts 1 and 2’ and sent them to TFL (following the correspondence with them I had started saying I believed my bike was not subject to the charge etc).
A week later (today) I got an email from TFL saying ‘...based on the information that you have provided we can confirm that your bike meets the ULEZ emissions standards...the vehicle compliance database will be updated to reflect the correct details of your vehicle before the scheme commences’
So I’ve saved myself and hopefully others £120. I hope this works out for others.Let me know how you get on, or if you have any questions. And please pass it on.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Pete.

Postby Pete. » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:10 pm

Thanks Pete.

I just got my reply today so I've fired off the scan of my V5C. Hopefully I can do the same.

Pete.

Boxermed69

Postby Boxermed69 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:09 pm

Having done a bit more research into the ULEZ, it seems the number of interest is only that of NOx emissions. Your motorcycle must come in equal to or under 0.15 g/km (as per the Euro 3 standard). My 2006-built R1200S has NOx emissions of 0.09 g/km, according to BMW, so would be fine. Incidentally, this figure is quoted on my V5C as well as the CofC. Evidence would suggest that a copy of either sent to TFL should do the trick. Appreciate that not all V5Cs present this information.

Mike

Pete.

Postby Pete. » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:25 pm

Nor does mine.

Well, today I received a reply from BMW but not the EC CoC. They say that they have sent me a letter which I should receive shortly. When I get that and act on it I'll post back with an update. Until then I'll have to remain a bit coy so I don't do something to mess it up for myself.

Pete.

Postby Pete. » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:06 pm

Well, if this isn't going to throw the cat among the pigeons I don't know what is.

I have my letter from BMW stating that my 2004 R1100S was manufactured to EURO 1 emission standard, and that according to the type approval certificate the NOx emission is 0.049g/km.

Now what?

Pete.

Postby Pete. » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:43 pm

I've made an application for ULEZ exemption based on the NOx emission figures supplied by BMW. Have to wait now to see what they say.

Pete.

Pete.

Postby Pete. » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:07 pm

Success! My bike has now been declared ULEZ compliant. Here's the route I took.

I emailed eccoc@bmw.co.uk a scan of my V5c asking them to confirm that the bike (2004 R1100S) is ULEZ compliant. Here's the reply I got:

Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you for your e-mail.
Your motorbike was produced in 2004 and at that time the emissions calculation on your vehicle was not required for the EC Certificate of Conformity, therefore these values are missing from this document.
However, the result of NOx emission measurement of your motorbike is available in the European Type Approval documentation and we were able to include it in a letter along with other required information which you can use to approach TfL directly for the daily charge waiver.
We can confirm that the letter was sent out today to the address detailed within the registration document

Then I received a letter from them with the following text:

Dear Mr Pete

With reference to a BMW R 1100 S motorbike, VIN xxxxxxxxxx, we can confirm from factory records this vehicle was manufactured to EURO 1 emission standard. According to Component type-approval certificate no. e1-97/24/5-0040/03. the fuel type required for this vehicle is petrol and the value of the NOx emission is 0.049g/km.

So I filled in the online ULEZ enquiry form, attached a scan of my V5c and a scan of the letter I got from BMW along with the following text:

I have enquired with the manufacturer of my 2004 motorcycle (BMW) and they have furnished me with evidence that although my vehicle was built to Euro1 standards the type-approval certificate shows that the NOx emissions are well below the limit for Euro3. Therefore, I am supplying a scan of my V5c along with a scan of the document from BMW as evidence that my motorcycle should be exempt from the ULEZ charge.

And today I got the following reply from cclondon:

Thank you for your enquiry received on 7 March 2019, regarding the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ.
Based on the information that you have provided we can confirm that your vehicle, registration *******, meets the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) emissions standards. This means you will not need to pay an ULEZ charge to travel in the zone, from 8 April 2019.
The vehicle compliance database will be updated to reflect the correct details of your vehicle, before the scheme commences.

So, it seems you don't need a Certificate of conformity at all. I wasn't offered one and wasn't asked for any money, just got the above letter from BMW and it did the trick.

I hope this helps someone else
Pete.

popsky

Postby popsky » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:16 pm

Well done good result, shows perseverance can pay off
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

Boxermed69

Postby Boxermed69 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:18 pm

Result indeed! Nice one, Pete.

Mike

Pete.

Postby Pete. » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:21 pm

Aaaaaaand today guess what I got? A PCN notice for using my bike in the ULEZ, despite getting a letter 6 weeks ago saying "your vehicle, registration *******, meets the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) emissions standards. This means you will not need to pay an ULEZ charge to travel in the zone, from 8 April 2019. The vehicle compliance database will be updated to reflect the correct details of your vehicle, before the scheme commences."

Return to “Boxerbanter”