clay bar

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

boxerscott

clay bar

Postby boxerscott » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:07 pm

I spent most of the day testing out what i always suspected was an ott exercise. I am still of the opinion it is but it does work and gets your vehicle paint finish silky smooth and clean. Sad thing is i was only cleaning up my works van and not a prestige car. Kits are available from £13.00 up to £35.

Not sure my works van is going to look this good ever again. :lol:
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Re: clay bar

Postby Paul » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:31 am

I think I would have been tempted to try on the petrol tank of your R1200R before committing to doing the whole van. How many steps are there in the clay bar process and is the result significantly better than just waxing the vehicle?

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:52 pm

Paul wrote:I think I would have been tempted to try on the petrol tank of your R1200R before committing to doing the whole van. How many steps are there in the clay bar process and is the result significantly better than just waxing the vehicle?

Cheers,

Paul
Clay Bar is an intermediate process. wash vehicle as normal. Apply clay bar lube to area you are treating, pinch off a portion of clay bar (Slightly warm it first) thin it out to matchbox size and then rub away evenly over panel, keep away from rubber bits, wipe off with a clean damp cloth. Then wax as normal. lots of elbow grease required too. It really works the paint finish feels so smooth even before waxing. You can see all the surface contaminates in the clay swatch, turn it over use till mucked up then lob. Pinch off another swatch/

Laborious. Downside to thorough cleaning is you find all the little stone chips and more work !!

I think Reg of this forum is a big clay bar fan!

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:35 pm

Clay bar is great especially if the paint surface is contaminated with something like tree sap or just generally won't clean up with compound .

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

bikemad99

Postby bikemad99 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:18 pm

boxerscott wrote:
Paul wrote:I think I would have been tempted to try on the petrol tank of your R1200R before committing to doing the whole van. How many steps are there in the clay bar process and is the result significantly better than just waxing the vehicle?

Cheers,

Paul
Clay Bar is an intermediate process. wash vehicle as normal. Apply clay bar lube to area you are treating, pinch off a portion of clay bar (Slightly warm it first) thin it out to matchbox size and then rub away evenly over panel, keep away from rubber bits, wipe off with a clean damp cloth. Then wax as normal. lots of elbow grease required too. It really works the paint finish feels so smooth even before waxing. You can see all the surface contaminates in the clay swatch, turn it over use till mucked up then lob. Pinch off another swatch/

Laborious. Downside to thorough cleaning is you find all the little stone chips and more work !!

I think Reg of this forum is a big clay bar fan!

Chris

I was until a lot of piss taking by B&b 2nd in command at Jedburgh.Glad you have proved me right.
Reg.
2000 BMW R1100s
1964 Royal Enfield 250cc Crusader
2012 Mazda Mx5 2.0ltr Kuro.
2004 Roller Team Granduca 171.
1992 Jaguar 4ltr Sovereign.
2018 Volvo t3 v40 Cross Country.
Reg & Gwen.

Phillip

Postby Phillip » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:05 pm

I use clay bar every year before polishing. It is a slightly tedious process but does pick up contaminants and gets easier every time you do it

Return to “Boxerbanter”