Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

slparry

My vote ....

Postby slparry » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:32 pm

…. for best cover EVER goes to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Re: My vote ....

Postby Paul » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:17 am

I'll see your "Disturbed" cover and raise you a Glen Campbell cover of a foo fighters song. I would love to have been a fly on the wall when Dave Grohl from the Foo Fighters took the call from Glen Campbell's management asking for permission for Glen to cover a couple of their tracks. Thats got to be, on paper, a fairly unlikely cross over, but man, it works beautifully. Fire up your spotify and listen to the classic album "Meet Glen Campbell" if you'd like to hear more inspired covers from the great man.

Like the example Steve posted,it's not a carbon copy of the original, but rather an interesting and fresh new interpretation which is every bit as good, if not better than the original. I really hate the sort of cover which is an almost indistinguishable note-for-note replica of the original, which seemed to be so popular in the 90's and early 00's. Steps, I'm looking at you, and yes that truly was a tragedy.

Anyway, RIP Glen Campell, a great singer and musician.
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:12 pm

Disturbed - gets my vote its epic
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

SP250

Postby SP250 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:26 pm

Started to listen to it and got bored after the first minute - mind you I don't rate the original either, but that's just me.
Never heard of Disturbed (or Spotify, Paul - had to google it).
But then, as is befitting of my age, I saw many of the great bands in their heyday.
My best cover would be Key to the Highway from the Layla album with Duane Allman & EC trading licks.
Looking forward to the Natwich Blues and Jazz festival over Easter.
John M

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:25 am

Like SP250, I was not a great fan of the original Sound of Silence, but I think it was the Bachelors hit that spoilt it for me. The Simon & Garfunkel original is ok now - I can listen to it - but if the Disturbed version had been around back then, it would have coloured it very differently for me. That is excellent.

Talking of S&G, our son was visiting last weekend. He's a passably good acoustic guitar picker and my missus can hold a tune. I came in from the garden to hear them having a little jamming session doing a beautiful (to me) version of The Boxer. Now that was a favourite of mine - good tune and great lyrics - especially the last verse. Gets me every time.

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:18 am

Ok, I'll see your Sound of Silence, and raise you the Johnny Cash cover of Hurt (Nine Inch Nails original)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vt1Pwfnh5pc

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:44 am

Grip Fast wrote:Ok, I'll see your Sound of Silence, and raise you the Johnny Cash cover of Hurt (Nine Inch Nails original)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vt1Pwfnh5pc

Yep … another one that's been in my playlist for some time
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Return to “Boxerbanter”