European Breakdown

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Neil178

European Breakdown

Postby Neil178 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:03 pm

My AA European breakdown cover has increased by almost a third from £141 to £187. No explanation for the increase either which is annoying. I spent a while loooking for alternative quotes but drew a blank. My 19 year old bike is deemed too much of a risk for any other company that I could find.
New bike time? Nah!
I called the AA and they dropped the price to £149. However, I’ve only got the one trip planned this year so I can get that covered for £79.
I got told that the maximum age of bike covered is 10/12/15 years maximum depending on the company.
There is a limit as to what you can fix at the side of the road so I consider phoning the rescue services whilst having a beer is a good way to relieve stress.
Anybody here know of a good company? Any pointers appreciated for next year!

GerryB

Re: European Breakdown

Postby GerryB » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:28 pm

You are fortunate !!!

I was told by a colleague at AA they avoid any breakdown cover on vehicles over 12 years old , and load anything over 8 years old.

I was refused breakdown cover on my 04 plate Ford 2 years ago .

So , a good service , prior to the trip , and a good tool box with a few essentials , light bulbs, hoses and repair kit, a few extra hose clamps, oil, and water ...

And set off !

When I've travelled on mt R1100S back and forth to UK and back to Spain, I've carried a fairly good tubeless tyre repair kit, a few spare CO2 sparklets , and a pack of zip ties .

Touch wood , all has been good .
Old man ... now .
Ex Off Road & Enduro Rider...

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:00 pm

https://money.asda.com/breakdown-cover/european/

No age limit, pay monthly if that suits you better...... :)

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Neil178

Postby Neil178 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:10 pm

I don’t want to be carrying spares and tools though Gerry, I will be loaded up with camping paraphernalia. Plenty enough of BMW bike shops around to wield the spammers for me! I’m just looking for an easy stress free way of getting the bike there should the worst happen. I only intend to ride between 9 &5 anyway, so it’s not like I’m going to stuck on the autobahn at 2 in the morning in heavy rain.
Had a look at the Asda cover, thanks Pete. Something about roadside recovery and vehicles over 10 years old. Need to read it again or call them up.
I realised that my insurance is due early July. I noticed that Carole Nash do exactly what I’m looking for. I used to be with them some years ago and only moved away when my premium went crazy for no reason. To be continued ...

Topcat

Postby Topcat » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:23 am

I used RAC a couple of years back to cover my 2007 R12 in France.
About £85 I think. Very glad I did as had to get the bike ferried back to the UK but I had the option of a hire car to drive home in, ferry costs paid back to collect the bike from the dealer where repairs would have been done. I think a hotel was thrown in as well. Almost a free ish holiday but didn’t have the time!
If I’d kept up the £300 per year BMW warranty as well, wouldn’t have had to pay out the £700 repair bill either!
Maybe worth a try.
PS, I am a RAC member so price may differ plus bike not 19yrs old!

FWIW they cover my 20 year old car as well for about 150 a year including cover for my wife and they have never asked for the cars details but it has been recovered a few times!

Dave

slparry

Postby slparry » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:10 pm

BMW Insured warranty, about £36 per month for European recovery AND warranty on the bike :D

https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/service/warranty.html
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Return to “Boxerbanter”