ABS-ectomy

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

madshep

ABS-ectomy

Postby madshep » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:20 pm

ABS-ectomy.

So as I have now got the dreaded ABS problem, which can't be fixed apparently, I am considering having the system taken out. I have seen that lots of owners have already done this but I have a question :-

When you went back to your insurers to declare a 'modification', what reaction did you get when you said "I have removed the ABS"?

milleplod

Re: ABS-ectomy

Postby milleplod » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:03 pm

madshep wrote:ABS-ectomy.

So as I have now got the dreaded ABS problem, which can't be fixed apparently, I am considering having the system taken out. I have seen that lots of owners have already done this but I have a question :-

When you went back to your insurers to declare a 'modification', what reaction did you get when you said "I have removed the ABS"?

The only feedback I've ever seen from folk who've had it removed is that their insurers weren't at all bothered, presumably on the basis that the bikes were available without ABS when new anyway. Best thing to do would be to call your insurer and ask.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Phlam

Postby Phlam » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:03 am

https://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/. I got the link from a different forum. I don't remember where. These guys repair Oil Head ABS modules for a fair price.

none

Postby none » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:44 pm

Phlam wrote:https://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/. I got the link from a different forum. I don't remember where. These guys repair Oil Head ABS modules for a fair price.

Rebuild not available for BMW motorcycles:

https://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/shop/motor-sports/abs-modules-motor-sports/abs-fte-abs3/
Chances favor the prepared mind.

Pete.

Postby Pete. » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:05 pm

If I did remove the ABS I wouldn't declare it as a modification. They come standard with ABS or NON-ABS but the distinction is not made on the V5C and I wasn't asked if it was ABS or NON-ABS when I took the policy so to my thinking either way is 'standard'. My first bike was ABS (which the previous owner had removed) and my current one is not.

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:37 pm

madshep wrote:ABS-ectomy.

It's a bit of a grey area , but most brokers only understand the yes or no answer to the question " does the vehicle have ABS " even if you state the ABS has been removed . Plenty of threads on here with varying answers and scenarios . My latest non Bmw acquistion has ABS which combined with budget forks can lead to longer than expected braking distance on certain surfaces. I was very nearly caught out a couple of times.
Reading the owners manual actually confirms this ( "abs equipped motorcycles may require longer stopping distances than those without , on certain surfaces " and not in small print... also I wonder where do riders with switchable abs stand ?? I'm seriously considering pulling the fuse on my latest acquisition and if I ever do and then have reason to regret it I guess I'd bring the owners manual to court .....
Obviously race abs and the like on current top of the range motorcycles is years ahead of the primitive abs on 20 yr old motorcycles . The advances in tyre technology render it obsolete because the parameters are fixed in the past for the likes of Dunlop D204 tyres

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

Phlam

Postby Phlam » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:59 am

Phlam wrote:correction from my earlier post for what it's worth... https://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/. I got the link from a different forum. I don't remember where. These guys repair BMW Oil Head ABS I and II modules for a fair PRICE. ABS III repair services are not yet available

Daimac

Postby Daimac » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:25 pm

Having lived this problem, here’s my take for what it’s worth ....

1. An ABSectomy is a modification; any inspection of the bike would show that a bike post-ABSectomy would still have the features of an ABS bike, still having the sensors etc (required rear on some models/R1100S for speedo). In addition, the brake fluid ‘pipework’ for a post-ABSectomy bike varies from the original non-ABS model, and therefore constitutes a ‘modification’.

2. The only company I’m aware of that repairs ABS modules and also supplies reconditioned plus an interesting alternative is based in Germany, and not cheap - see https://rhelectronics.de/reparatur/gera ... /type-am1/

This leaves the owner with a dilemma of going down the repair/replace route or an ABSectomy, plus the dilemma of how/what to inform the insurance company.
D.

BMW R1100S - Grey
BMW R100RS - Blue/Silver
BMW K1100RS - Red/No longer mine
BMW K100RT - Blue/ No longer mine
BMW R60/7S Black/Gold/ No longer mine

sbends

Postby sbends » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:02 pm

For what's it worth my abs died and so removed it as per a post on this website. All went well. Spoke to my insurance company and they said my bike was down as I non abs version anyway on their books so they had no issue. I got them to make note of my call. That's not to say if I have an accident they might not change their minds.........

Return to “Boxertech”