Lower fork mounted driving lights

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

BMblB

Lower fork mounted driving lights

Postby BMblB » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:57 pm

Where I live (Southern California, USA) most of the motorcycle police ride BMWs. In the last 6 months or so they have mounted very bright LED driving lights down on the lower forks. They are running the driving lights day and night. This really increases the visibility of their bikes. I’ve not been able to get a close look at the set up. I’m waiting until I can get one to pull over without me getting pulled over.

I’d like to do this on my 2001 R1100S as the proliferation of cars with daytime running lights has pretty much made bikes with headlights on NOT stand out in traffic any longer.

I’ve seen a couple of possible mounting methods. Both use fender bolts to attach a mount for the driving lights. I’m concerned with crushing the carbon fiber fender by cranking down the bolt.

Has anyone done this? Any advice?
----------------------------------
2001 R1100S
2006 Toyota Tundra
4 kids
2 Grand kids
3 cats

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Re: Lower fork mounted driving lights

Postby Paul » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:42 am

I've not seen these fitted to an R1100S before, but there are multiple systems available for the various flavours of GS which you might be able to adapt? Normally they fit a mounting bar directly to the frame of the bike, below the headstock, to hang the lights off. That would be more secure than attaching it to the fender/mudguard which would have too much flex, I would have thought. If you can find a mounting bar for the R1150GS, I would think that there is a good chance you could adapt it for your S, since the frames for both bikes would be fairly similar.

I guess another approach would be to talk to a company like Clearwater who make these kind of lights to see what mounting suggestions they would have for your S.

Good luck finding a solution and don't forget to let us know how you get on with that.

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:32 pm

I would not mount to the Carbon Fibre as the lights will bounce up and down and crack it - the carbon fibre is quite thin as I recall only one layer. I had extra lights on my R1200ST mounted in the oil cooler air intakes (didn't affect the running temperature) and later replaced with LED mounted lamps directly to the bottom edge of fairing without any issues.
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

Al

Postby Al » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:01 pm

The GS lighting bars are mounted at top of forks level as the GS frame is different because of the beak, it sounds as though BMblB wants to mount them lower down. The bolts that attach the front mudguard to the fork lowers could possibly be changed for longer ones with a small spacer to prevent crushing the carbon, or maybe a U or p clip type clamp on the lower fork leg would work, as the forks don’t compress like other bikes excess cable shouldn’t be too much of an issue, the only other fasteners in that area are the Caliper bolts, but not sure I would use them.

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

BMblB

Postby BMblB » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:01 pm

Sorry, should have been a bit more specific. I'm looking at using the fender/mudguard mounting bolts, not mounting the lights on the floppy CF fender itself.

I've new seen a solution that uses one of the caliper bolts to secure a light bracket. That might be what I need to do.
----------------------------------
2001 R1100S
2006 Toyota Tundra
4 kids
2 Grand kids
3 cats

KTM AL

Postby KTM AL » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:56 pm

Hi
I have used the fender mount on my FJR1300 and used a plastic spacer with a protective piece of rubber tape for the LED spot light to clear the fender and aid grip. I may have used a longer bolt and put a lock nut on the inside.

Return to “Boxertech”