Replacement Knee

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

ianbcr

Replacement Knee

Postby ianbcr » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:43 pm

Chaps anyone here had a knee replacement and are still riding there bikes ok, Been told today i am going to need my right one replacing and wondered if there are any problems.
Your born with a certain amout of heart beats, Dont waste them on exersise. [smilie=rooster.gif]

04 boxer cup rep. Gone but not forgoten
99 tlr1000 (V twin) tricked.
Indian Roadmaster Elite
Mercedes EQC 400

BoxerCup R

Re: Replacement Knee

Postby BoxerCup R » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:45 pm

That's a nightmare Ian but from everyone I've known have a knee replacement its literally like having a new knee so good luck Mate and I'm sure if you do what your told but he medical staff and grit you teeth during the recovery physiotherapy and push yourself -not literally- you'll be back on the bike in no time :D
"02 Yamaha XJR 1300SP in Kenny Roberts Yellow - (bought new)
"18 BMW S1000R Sports - (bought new)

"11 Porsche Boxster 987 S Black Edition No.261 of 987

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:30 pm

BoxerCup R wrote:That's a nightmare Ian

Say it as it is John... Sounds a proper mare to me also Ian. Good luck with that. A knees life is helped by keeping the calf and quads in good fettle. What`s the other one like? Is it a result of a former injury or just err.. maturity?

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

hobbit

Postby hobbit » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:29 pm

My wife has had partial knee replacements on both knees and has no problem riding pillion.

Gavin

GerryB

Postby GerryB » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:53 am

I've not had a knee replacement , but I have had all the ligaments snapped racing back in 2000

The doc removed the broken ends, and fitted me with 3 carbon fibre ligaments , screwed onto the bones .

Touch wood, 20 years later , I'm still pedalling and riding ok .

However , while I carried on racing until 2016, I did always wear Leatt knee braces for protection.

On my road bike, always for peace of mind , wore leathers or kit with extra knee protection.

On the trails, always wear my knee guards.

Just a nuisance at airport scanners , all the screws normally set the alarm going and the security guys eyes light up ... :shock:

So, put it out of your mind, work hard at the physio, and get yourself back on your bike, or change to a more comfortable bike .

Good luck , keep us up to date with the progress.
Old man ... now .
Ex Off Road & Enduro Rider...

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:57 pm

I haven't been through the experience either, but know a few who have and have bounced back as good as new. Good advice from the others, and good luck with the new knee.

My late mother had a hip replacement after a fall, refused to take pain killers after the op (told the young doctor that giving birth was much worse), and when the nurse called round to check on her the day after she got home from hospital, she found mother about to drive to the shops - almost had to wrestle her out of the car. She must have been 82 at the time.

I now know what I want for my next birthday - Carbon fibre ligaments - that's like well cool.

Just kidding - I don't really.

ianbcr

Postby ianbcr » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:31 pm

Cheers for the reply chaps, ive made the cardinal sin of watching you tube vids,but its nice to see what gets done, but to be honest all the info is the same from the professinals on there work hard on the recovery side and try excercise biking pre opp. I think its come about from early sport (basketball) and maturing age though at 58 knees only have a 10 yr life span where as now hips they say 25yrs.
Your born with a certain amout of heart beats, Dont waste them on exersise. [smilie=rooster.gif]

Indian Roadmaster Elite
Mercedes EQC 400

Mole

Postby Mole » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:09 pm

I’ve had a right knee full replacement, carried out April 2014. After you need to keep up the bending, use a rolled towel passed round ankle then pull the ends to stretch the knee to gain bend angle. I fitted a lower footrest kit to the right side of bike (R1200s) so that I could ride sooner. After a while was able to revert to standard.
Good luck and if the pain your in now is anywhere near what I suffered, you’ll never regret it!

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:07 pm

Got a mate who's had 2 new knees , one 15 years ago, one last year.
He's now got more bikes than ever !!!

ianbcr

Postby ianbcr » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:20 pm

Well i cant see me getting it done this year with whats happening so will have to suck it and see.
Andy your mates done well (15yrs) with his as they only say 10 yrs for a knee and now 25 for a hip.
Mole yes in constant pain what with the torn medial ligament and the bone on bone. they do say the hard work starts as soon as rehab starts. will have to invest in an excercise bike.

Indian Roadmaster Elite
Mercedes EQC 400

Return to “Boxerbanter”