MoT's extended

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

slparry

MoT's extended

Postby slparry » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:32 pm

http://www.wrexham.com/news/from-monday ... QGKXRPnBfQ

"It has been announced that from the 30th MOT due dates for cars, motorcycles and light vans will be extended by 6 months.

As with many areas of the response to the pandemic there is new guidance appearing daily. Today there has been an update on MOTs, stating: “From 30 March 2020, MOT due dates for cars, motorcycles and light vans will be extended by 6 months. This is being done to help prevent the spread of coronavirus.”

There’s separate guidance about what to do if your MOT due date is up to and including 29 March 2020.

You do not need to do anything to extend your vehicle’s MOT expiry date if it’s on or after 30 March 2020. However, you must keep your vehicle safe to drive – with details on what that means here.

Your vehicle will be automatically given a 6-month MOT exemption. This will extend your current MOT expiry date by 6 months.
"

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehi ... oronavirus
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

SP250

Re: MoT's extended

Postby SP250 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:14 pm

What about taking a bike off SORN and I can't get an mot - will I be able to get tax so I can legally ride it and then get the mot when the bike shop is back doing them?
They probably haven't thought that one through.
Last edited by SP250 on Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
John M

jeznewsome

Postby jeznewsome » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:32 am

You can legally ride to a booked MoT appointment without tax.

Just checked and annoyingly my Kat is due on 28th March.....DOH. So I'll be waiting until this sh1t has blown over, there is no point getting an MoT when I can't ride it. But I will book a test and then ride to it without tax

SP250

Postby SP250 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:24 am

Jez

Your situation is different to mine, ie. you have tax now and needing mot on 28th March, means you can continue to ride the bike 29th onwards.
Mine is on SORN now so needs an mot before I can get tax.
Riding to a booked mot without tax or mot has always been the case.
John M

jeznewsome

Postby jeznewsome » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:48 pm

SP250 wrote:Your situation is different to mine, ie. you have tax now and needing mot on 28th March, means you can continue to ride the bike 29th onwards. Mine is on SORN now so needs an mot before I can get tax.

Nope the same situation! Kat is on SORN......but the MoT is due on 28th March so not valid for an extension (which only applies for MoTs due after 30th March.

But having read your post again I understand. There are places still offering motorcycle MoTs in our area, so I guess you may find somewhere, perhaps not your usual place, still offering the service.

popsky

Postby popsky » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:09 pm

I thought I’d replied this morning, my usual bike shop was not doing any business cause of building works and by chance I discovered that a local car workshop also does bike mot’s and a bonus for me it’s a lot closer to home, I haven’t gone back to the bike shop since. Maybe worth a ring round. Good luck
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

jeznewsome

Postby jeznewsome » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:30 pm

Took a break from WFH today and took that Kat for it's MoT. It passed :D and therefore I'll be able to tax it immediately these measures are lifted.

Local shop is only open with a single mechanic for maintenance work and the owners to do the few MoTs that will be required before the March 30th deadline.

They are a good independent motorcycle shop and will survive this year but the owners think it'll be a complete write off. They have already done 1500 MoTs this year and the next they'll do will probably be October, just as people think about SORNing their bikes ..... though I guess March next year will, hopefully be a massive upsurge for them.

The reason I got mine done today was because they are not sure that it'll be worth opening from next week. Most of their staff are already furloughed.

I hope you are able to get something sorted, local to you, SP250.

SP250

Postby SP250 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:52 pm

Cheers Jez

We'll see
John M

Return to “Boxerbanter”