Powdercoating

Any bike-related products/services you wish to recommend.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

dave the german

Powdercoating

Postby dave the german » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:05 am

just got the black bits (rear subframe, side stand, battery box, bar ends and pannier supports) powder coated at Bettablast at Shiremoor near Whitley Bay. He's done a cracking job and it was a quick turnaround
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

BoxerCup R

Re: Powdercoating

Postby BoxerCup R » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:55 pm

dave the german wrote:just got the black bits (rear subframe, side stand, battery box, bar ends and pannier supports) powder coated at Bettablast at Shiremoor near Whitley Bay. He's done a cracking job and it was a quick turnaround

Excellent :thumbright:
"02 Yamaha XJR 1300SP in Kenny Roberts Yellow - (bought new)
"18 BMW S1000R Sports - (bought new)

"11 Porsche Boxster 987 S Black Edition No.261 of 987

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Fri May 01, 2020 8:13 pm

My tyre levers , bead breaker (bench vice) are no respecters of K2 or powdercoat!! :wink:

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

SP250

Postby SP250 » Sat May 02, 2020 6:46 am

Whats that saying Chris - 'a bad workman blames his tools'??? 8)
John M

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sun May 03, 2020 8:35 pm

SP250 wrote:Whats that saying Chris - 'a bad workman blames his tools'??? 8)
Unfortunately John, something along those lines :)

It is fair to say that my R wheels do have basecoat grinning through at some point on the rims, the quality and hardness of the wheel paint is not what it was like on my BCR. These matt finishes are shitx You can not beat luxurious deep gloss and hard lacquer. Never have had pc bike wheels but I would like a hardness test if anyone wants to donate a wheel for tyre change?

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

SP250

Postby SP250 » Sun May 03, 2020 10:56 pm

I had some nylon tyre levers for use on the carbon wheels on the race bikes back in the 90's - to be kinder on the lacquered finish.
I guess they would be the thing to use on anything softer than stove enamelling (like powder coatings).
John M

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Mon May 04, 2020 7:45 am

I read many years ago, that Powder Coating was not as good as simple paint - on wheels.

Why not ask Steve Turner (used to post on here). His company name is based on his name

http://tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk/

Turner Powder Coating Services :)

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Thu May 07, 2020 8:43 pm

Blackal wrote:I read many years ago, that Powder Coating was not as good as simple paint - on wheels.

Why not ask Steve Turner (used to post on here). His company name is based on his name

http://tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk/

Turner Powder Coating Services :)

Al
Horses for Courses Al, the PCvPaint debate is exhaustive on all motor forums. Steve did a set of car wheels for us , limited colour choices but a fantastic job. PC is great for Car wheel refurb. For a bike my preference is paint, exact colour match, easier to touch up. Bike wheels do not have the same rigours that car wheels are subjected too. PC may be overkill in this instance. Some PC finishes do look the dogs bollox though. Each to their own. My BMW wheels matt finish is barely a mist coat. My chocolate tyre levers scratch them. Joke. A good paint system is great, K2 is as good as pc in everyday use. Mist coats of any paint are crap. The wheels on my two beemers are fantastic quality finished with watered down contract matt. Really irritating.

chris
Fiat Panda.

Keith_P

Postby Keith_P » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:11 pm

I picked up my 12S wheels today - powder coated & lacquered by Steve at TPCS (as above) and will be having tyres fitted on Friday. I'll let you know what my friendly mobile tyre fitter says about them...
'18 939 Hypermotard
'06 R1200S

Keith_P

Postby Keith_P » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:20 am

Well, I can't fault Steve Turner's powder coating. Tyre bloke was impressed too :)
'18 939 Hypermotard
'06 R1200S

Return to “Recommended products/services”