Anyone been for a ride yet?

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Anyone been for a ride yet?

Postby Paul » Sat May 16, 2020 10:03 am

Since Wednesday, the rules in England have been relaxed by Boris and it's possible to go for a bike ride again, according to MCN and the Missenden Flyer. Have any of you taken advantage of this new found freedom yet? I'm contemplating a brief bimble on Monday to blow the cobwebs off my bike, but it still feels a little naughty, after 8 weeks of confinement.

Just to clarify, my proposed bimble would be less than one tank of fuel, on quiet roads, which I'll be riding like an old lady (no change there then...).

What are your thoughts on the topic? Will you be going out for an occasional ride now, or do you think that's still too risky?

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Blackal

Re: Anyone been for a ride yet?

Postby Blackal » Sat May 16, 2020 10:07 am

I'll be out as soon as ScotGovt eases restrictions. Might stay clear of weekends for a while though.

Good roads on the doorstep, cheap fuel.........................

(and the bike kit might still fit. :oops: )

Unless there is some miracle cure around the corner - we all have to roll the dice with Covid sooner or later.
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

wicker

Postby wicker » Sat May 16, 2020 10:37 am

Riding, yes on back roads. Roads and towns still remarkedly quiet. A few other bikes out. Nowhere open to stop for a coffee or lunch so taking a bottle of water and a snack. Keep myself away from everyone else and pay at pump.

BTW, Strathearn Tyres in Crieff has reopened just in time as I need a new set.

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Sat May 16, 2020 11:15 am

Nicola hasn’t eased our restrictions yet so some essential shopping trips on the bikes have been required. I have noticed However that my sense of direction has eroded during ‘lockdown’ and I seem to get lost every time I leave the house. I always find the shop and manage to get home though so no need to worry about me
"02 Yamaha XJR 1300SP in Kenny Roberts Yellow - (bought new)
"18 BMW S1000R Sports - (bought new)

"11 Porsche Boxster 987 S Black Edition No.261 of 987

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Sat May 16, 2020 11:20 am

Rules now allow travelling for exercise in England - so

3 bike trip out yesterday with wife and son ( all same household). Lovely weather and moderately quiet roads.
Stopped for an exercise walk and picnic - really nice to get back on the bike

Al

Postby Al » Sat May 16, 2020 2:10 pm

I had some stuff to collect from screwfix on Thursday so went on GS, screwfix is two miles from home, but as I have had the shocks serviced and lowered and this was first time out I did a twenty odd mile round trip just to check I had put everything back together properly!!

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Sat May 16, 2020 3:17 pm

60 miles yesterday just to make sure everything was still working ok. Not certain so will need to go out again just in case. Quiet roads around Notts and Lincs. Nice easy pace as no point in risking myself or anyone else.
10 KTM RC8

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Sat May 16, 2020 3:32 pm

Different Jurisdiction, not due for non essential travel release until July 20th assuming everything goes to plan . I do currently have to turn up in work every other day so I use a bike for that short commute but I think that in itself is difficult with all the hand to face interactions of using helmets etc which is why I don't use the bike for shopping . Also, I left my helmet in an office where I have worked for the last 15 yrs and when I returned someone had moved it ..... Some people are having difficulty adjusting to this and just don't get safe distancing. As for leisure spins , I'm not sure it feels right at the moment to be enjoying myself given what's happened / happening around the world and as washroom facilities seem to be off limits even to truck drivers that are keeping the country going I guess that means long haul biking won't be the same any time soon. Feel free to convince me otherwise!!
Edit , there may also be problems with recovery if breakdowns occur.. as in bike ok , rider not!

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

stoney

Postby stoney » Sat May 16, 2020 8:27 pm

Been out everyday since Wednesday, mega rusty on the first ride and just finding my feet again. Been avoiding towns as much as possible and taking a pack up to eat in a quiet spot. Taking my rubbish home and filling up at my local. It’s been really lovely to be out. Lots of waving and nodding bikers. A few knobs out cutting corners etc but generally seems most are behaving themselves.
Andy

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Sun May 17, 2020 10:35 am

Been out a few times in the last few weeks but nothing more than a few miles at a time. Bike was in bits for a while so just checking I have put it all back together properly :lol: Nothings dropped off yet but paranoid the pippers are going to hit the poppers at some point!!

Stay safe people

DT
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

jeznewsome

Postby jeznewsome » Sun May 17, 2020 11:48 am

Seeing as it seems to be open season I did 110 miles, solo, on the HP2 today, first time it's been even started since Sept last year. A few foibles aside it is a lovely machine. My wrists aren't used to non stop riding; whilst I went past a number of 'biker stops' during the ride there were far too many people at most for me to consider stopping - I guess the brew wagons being open is a draw.

Still enjoyed the quiet roads, though most motorcycles were in 1s and 2s there were a number of larger groups and a huge 15+ group of scooters. Not sure that's really going to help public perception in the current environment :?

GerryB

Postby GerryB » Sun May 17, 2020 2:13 pm

Just back , quiet 40 miles just because ....
May 2020 lock down ride  (9).jpg
May 2020 lock down ride (9).jpg (431.28 KiB) Viewed 10300 times
Old man ... now .
Ex Off Road & Enduro Rider...

jeznewsome

Postby jeznewsome » Sun May 17, 2020 4:19 pm

Sunnier in Spain......N9JOB still looking good

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sun May 17, 2020 6:39 pm

I doubt i will ride again until Nicola blinks. I did take a few rides early in the so called lock down but realised i was giving sanctimonious Nobbers a stick to beat me with. :lol:

Go for it if it suits you!

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

wicker

Postby wicker » Sun May 17, 2020 8:19 pm

There's plenty of sanctimonious nobbers out there at the moment. The press haven't helped by stoking up the notion that everyone out and about is a covidiot e.g photos of roads with traffic on them - they've no idea who was in those vehicles, the purpose of the journey, etc. Could well have been NHS or other essential staff going to work.

Project fear has been overdone. At some point the rules will have to be relaxed and a new normal return.

Anyway the older I get the more I'm inclined to say fcuk it. If i want to go for ride then I will taking reasonable precautions when I'm out to maintain social distance.

Return to “Boxerbanter”