ABS Question

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

KeithW

ABS Question

Postby KeithW » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:46 pm

Hi All, I have a 11s October 2003 Abs model.
My question is how do you tell what type of Abs system is on the bike, the callipers are marked BMW outside and Brembo inside.
The reason I ask is that I have fitted an LED rear light unit which comes with a small transformer for integral abs models.
I have spliced into the rear light wiring on a previous occasion to provide power to my sat nav and when I connect the new unit and transformer there is no power to the sat nav. If I connect without the transformer it all works ok.
I’m just wondering if I run this without the transformer and the bike does have integral Abs whether this will cause any electrical issues.
On both options used the red triangle warning light goes out as normal.

Daimac

Re: ABS Question

Postby Daimac » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:56 pm

Hi Keith,

I'm a newbie to 1100S (just 4 years) but that's enough to give you plenty of opportunities to experience the wonders of this bike!

My question to you at this stage (as I have come across posts not related to the 1100S on this forum) is whether your bike is an 1100s - if so, my guess would be that a 2003 w(c)ould be twin spark with iABS3 with a servo - although mine (with BMW marked brakes) doesn't have Brembo's(?)? The iABS unit electronically controls the rear brake light feed.

There are contributors who will be able to add much more than I can, but may be worth clarifying/confirming the bike details; I've had my share of iABS problems, so know my way about sufficient to take out the unit and replace/re-prime etc and just got my bike back on the road after a layoff with ABS problems.

Good luck and enjoy the bike.
D.

BMW R1100S - Grey
BMW R100RS - Blue/Silver
BMW K1100RS - Red/No longer mine
BMW K100RT - Blue/ No longer mine
BMW R60/7S Black/Gold/ No longer mine

KeithW

Postby KeithW » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:39 pm

Daimac wrote:Hi Keith,

I'm a newbie to 1100S (just 4 years) but that's enough to give you plenty of opportunities to experience the wonders of this bike!

My question to you at this stage (as I have come across posts not related to the 1100S on this forum) is whether your bike is an 1100s - if so, my guess would be that a 2003 w(c)ould be twin spark with iABS3 with a servo - although mine (with BMW marked brakes) doesn't have Brembo's(?)? The iABS unit electronically controls the rear brake light feed.

There are contributors who will be able to add much more than I can, but may be worth clarifying/confirming the bike details; I've had my share of iABS problems, so know my way about sufficient to take out the unit and replace/re-prime etc and just got my bike back on the road after a layoff with ABS problems.

Good luck and enjoy the bike.

Hi Damian, Thanks for the input, I too have have owned my 1100s for 4 years and can confirm it’s a 2003 model and I believe the twin spark model came out in 2004 but someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

Phlam

Postby Phlam » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:15 pm

Hi Keith,
I can't help you with the ABS type. I may be able to help with the accessory wiring. I suggest you power it directly from the battery. Use an off the shelf, four or five pin accessory relay to switch it on when the Ignition is on. Do this by connecting it to an existing switched source (green black or gray black wire). This will prevent the existing wires from over loading and from causing the motronic control unit or ABS control unit to trigger alarms resulting in idiot lights.
Relay Pin Connections:
pin 30 battery hot, red wire
pin 85 ground, brown wire
pin 86 switched power, green black or gray black
pin 87 to accessory positive connector wire
pin 87a not connected or use for another accessory
And connect accessory negative connector wire to ground.

solder is your friend.
Last edited by Phlam on Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:56 pm

Has the 11s got CANbus?
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

SP250

Postby SP250 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:50 pm

Nope - but the 12S does.
John M

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:16 am

SP250 wrote:Nope - but the 12S does.

John having both the 11 and the 12 I should know that and I was pretty certain that was the case but it had been a long day :lol:
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Yam SR 500 long term restoration

wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Return to “Boxertech”