What content do you want from this site?

What do you think of the site? Anything you'd like to add? Please let us know.

Moderators: Paul, slparry, Gromit

User avatar Great Britain
Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

What content do you want from this site?

Postby Paul » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:06 am

Hi Folks,

I'm just about to fire up the web editor to re-paint the site. Do you have any requests for useful bits outside the forum section of the site? Does anyone use the links? Is the Gallery of any use? Do you ever look at "Meet us at..."? What additional information would be useful.

I'm open to suggestions, but don't guarantee to implement any of them :wink:

Your thoughts please.

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

throttlemeister

Postby throttlemeister » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:09 am

I have used all of the above, but most of them seem hopelessly outdated at the moment. :)

So yes, if there is regularly updated content, I will use it. Except maybe for th gallery, but I have I have my own webspace so no need for it.

Suggestion: a compilation of FAQ/info on maintenance, regularly occurring problems/issues, fixes, modifications etc. Most of it can be found in the forums, but they are hard to find and often filled with OT or irrelevant information. A place that collects all the bits of useful information together will be of great use for all.
Gijs

BMW R1100S | homepage | gallery
BMW K1200S 'tri-color ICBM' | ABS/ESA

User avatar Scotland
Blackal

Postby Blackal » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:41 am

My Internet shortcuts take me straight to the forums, so have kind of overlooked the links and stuff.

Knowing they are there, might save he trawling through threads looking for links to suppliers :oops:

The Gallery is a good idea, but I appreciate that it takes dedication to keep it up to date, with contributions from attendees.

Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:49 am

I use the links often and find them useful, I think the "meet us at" can be misleading to new trixters, who often turn up expecting others to be there, And I agree with Al regarding the gallery, a great idea, but really needs more input from our members to keep it fresh and interesting.
Maybe a "rogues gallery" for trixters and therir bikes?

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

Paul

Postby Paul » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:08 am

The problem with the Gallery at the moment, is that only I can add pictures to it, and as you have noticed, I don't do that too frequently... I'll see if I can set up a new gallery with permissions to let registered users upload pictures themselves.

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

throttlemeister

Postby throttlemeister » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:17 am

If you update the forum to the latest version, you could incorporate a portal to it. That way, you don't have to maintain a seperate page, and all can see the content whenever they want. It is also easier to maintain, as it works the same as posting to the forum.
Gijs

BMW R1100S | homepage | gallery
BMW K1200S 'tri-color ICBM' | ABS/ESA

Great Britain
JoeC

Postby JoeC » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:53 pm

Paul
Regarding the PM I sent a while back about 'Meet Us At'. Do you want to consider having a regional person to keep an eye on this and keep it up to date? Not saying that they should have access to upload stuff but they can check places out and send information to you/Gromit.
One less task for you both to do.

Joe

Paul

Postby Paul » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:06 am

Hi JoeC,

I can certainly add a form to allow folks to submit details for new locations to be added to the "Meet us at..." pages. As a minimum, I'd need a 'photo, location details so I can throw up a google maps frame and some text about the place and it's fried breakfast potential.

Cheers,

Paul

Great Britain
JoeC

Postby JoeC » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:27 am

That will do nicely Paul
If people can include a web address if the place has one then excellent.

User avatar England
skiddy boxers

Postby skiddy boxers » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:19 pm

Paul

Another forum that I use regularly allows you to upload pictures direct into your posts so that you don't need to have them hosted. Is this a possible enhancement?

Nick
Nick

When life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

User avatar Scotland
Blackal

Postby Blackal » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:22 pm

skiddy boxers wrote:Paul

Another forum that I use regularly allows you to upload pictures direct into your posts so that you don't need to have them hosted. Is this a possible enhancement?

Nick

I'd be surprised if it was possible - bear in mind, that Boxertrix is a non-subscription site. :)

Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

User avatar England
skiddy boxers

Postby skiddy boxers » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:37 pm

bear in mind, that Boxertrix is a non-subscription site.

I don't know if it's possible but no harm in asking is there :dontknow:
Not knowing much about these things I assume the downside is the amount of server space you'd need.
Just out of interest t'other site isn't a subscription site either (nothing to do with bikes by the way). :wink:

I'd like to ditch my current photohost but have posted a number of pics on here in the tech section that others have found useful and I need to keep it just so that I don't have to redo all the links. Uploading would solve that and make things so much easier.

Nick
Nick

When life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Paul

Postby Paul » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:45 pm

Hi Skiddy,

Photo uploading is a possibility. It would have to be set up in such a way as to stop those folks with 10 megapixel cameras uploading huge images, since that would eat up disk space and bandwidth pretty damned quickly. No promises, but I'll file the idea on the "definitely perhaps" spike.

Cheers,

Paul

ned1

Postby ned1 » Fri May 08, 2009 11:46 am

Hi,
It would be great to have a How to do section as there a lot of jobs that people would like to do but don't know the procedure but when I see things like Steptoe's how to replace a fork seal procedure with pictures and text I for one would do my own and save a lot of pennies.
This is the best site I have been with and the FJ site takes some beating.

Ned :wink:
Yesterday R1100S 03, today K1300s sport
Ride like they are all out to kill you and you will live to ride another day............Ned 2008

Me-109

Postby Me-109 » Thu May 21, 2009 10:57 am

I really only go to the forums these days and have my Favo(u)rites set to there. I think the rest of the site from the homepage bould be restructured to include those sections within an appropriate forum, so things like the Gallery may be better represented with stickies in the Boxerpix section, Meet us at.. in the Days Out.

I'd certainly like to see (and maybe even be able to contribute to) an FAQ section to capture the likes of the suspension changes for different models/years, How To-s for servicing and maintenance jobs - paralever bearings, main bearings, clutch, bleeding brakes, etc. I don't think we are quite the mechanical novices our American cousins are, but not everyone has all the experience or would find it useful just to know what tools are required in advance.
Ex-11S owner; now SV-S owner.

Where's me heated grips gone?

Return to “Over to you...”