DIY gear indicator

As it says; what you've done to your bike and how it helped make it better.

Moderators: Paul, slparry, Gromit

Are you insterested into buying a kit?

1) Basic kit : Elec module + display -> £17 inc. pp.
23%
2) Medium package : Basic kit + sensor wiring -> £34 inc. pp.
38%
3) Full package : Medium package + instrument cluster mod -> £51 inc. pp.
38%

Total votes: 13

User avatar Great Britain
Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:38 pm

I never wanted such an "idiot light" on any of my bikes, but my 1200s has it as std and I have to admit that I do make use of it a LOT more than I ever imagined I would. Good work Buzz90 :)

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

User avatar France
buzzz90

Postby buzzz90 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:55 am

I have only 1 confirmation from BlackAl.
I will buy the parts today.
R1100S / VIN ZA82517 : Image

LoRAnEtErenCe

Postby LoRAnEtErenCe » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:07 am

I may build a few modules (I already have interested people on our french forum. Yes, it will work even stationary. It might prevent me from starting on 2nd gear at a traffic light...

snavetrauts

Postby snavetrauts » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:08 pm

I have come late to this.... I have posted for option 1.... But can I clarify option 2... I assume option 2 requires you to send your switch to buzz??

Regards and thanks for such an offer.... I love this forum.

Regards

Stuart
.......~ ~
....-(@ @)-
ooO-(__)-Ooo

Ride due west to the sunset, turn left at the Rocky Mountains. (Jeremiah Johnson)

R1100S 2003. The Fast Colour. G650 Xchallenge 2008. F650CS Black 2003 SWMBO

User avatar France
buzzz90

Postby buzzz90 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:39 pm

Hi,

I must first produce the modules that were already ordered and check how many parts are left.

User avatar France
buzzz90

Postby buzzz90 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:18 am

I'm already working on an enhanced version, that would be brighter in daylight and would dim when the ambient light goes down.
The theory is OK but I need to test it before I can say if it will be available or not.

damoace

Postby damoace » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:06 pm

I use my BCR mostly for Trackdays and after I saw Buzz's original post I figured a nice large gear indicator could help me dial in to a shift pattern a little faster on the day (I normally take ages to get the rythum ). To that end the only real change that I made was to use a larger 7-segment display (1"/25mm ) so that it's easier for me to see at a glance as I set up for the turn in.

So after sorting through the Maplin catalogue and finding a display big enough (but not too big), and a box big enough (but not too big):

and somewhere on the dash to mount it all:

I brushed off my (very rusty) circuit building skills and got to work with the VeroBoard:

As you can see, I used to be good at this. Used to be. Now it looks like amatuer hour at the local Technical Collage but thats ok because I *am* an a amatoor. :)

Having done and bench tested, then re-done and re- bench tested a few times because I ballsed up some bits, I had a working design mounted on the bike and ready for a proper go:

I have to admit to suffering the Sin of Pride over this - I'm dead chuffed at how it turned out and need to pass my thanks to Buzz for doing the hard work in sorting the details out for his first one and then still having the enthusiasm to write it all up and stick it out into the world for me (and any one else) to use. Really, thanks dude. I saw that you took some stick from the bolt-on-and-brag-brigade over this simple little project but this sort of thing is exactly what the forums are there for and I think you should get maximum props for your effort. And I know how much effort it takes to work up even the smallest projects. Well done Buzz. I mean that most sincerely.

The final, fitted and tested Pilots-Eye-View:

Regardless of the end worth of the project in use (I'll know more after my first trackday in May), it was very enjoyable to actually make something from base components and materials rather than just buy something already made by a big company somewhere and just bolt it on.

Thanks again Buzz...
R1200GS - 'El Bastardo' - The Exploder.
R1100S BCR - 'Flashart the Misguided Missile'.
KTM 990SMT- 'Scratch' - Hoonery Assured.

www.bmrider.com - The cobbled part of the information superhighway.

User avatar South Africa
tanneman

Postby tanneman » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:40 pm

I remember that bike from the BMW track day at Cadwell Park last year. Damoace can you send me the info or link for that ecu plug shorts that you've put on your yoke. Might want to give it a try. There is a track day at Bedford Autodrome next Saturday which is local to me but I'm working that evening so I'll opt for the £20 taster session. I know it's a bit off topic.

A work collogue has got a program to assemble and test a circuit before you screw it up building the thing. Works out the circuit and dimensions of the PCB. I'll have a play with it later next week. I like your approach to the gear indicator for the simple reason of not having to cut my instrument binnacle. Not given it much thought other than being interested in fitting one myself.

Good work by Buzz. Tinkering is a constructive way of spending time.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

damoace

Postby damoace » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:16 am

DUDE! Nice to see you. You, It's the same bike, but now with extra do-dangs and faster-snarters. Hopefully it's a little quicker now but I'm waiting for the Dyno to tell me if my winter-tinker was a waste of time or not.

To answer your question, I dont know if you can use my pinouts as I have a BBPower chip installed and my pinouts are only meaningful for that chip. If you do have a BBP, the pinouts are:

Image Image

Last year used mostly stage four but this year I've rigged a roatary switch to give stages 4, 5plus, 5 and 5minus.

If you have a standard chip, then dont worry about changing them all. I tried all that on the dyno before I got the BBP chip and found only tiny benefits for a couple of combinations and some were positivley rubbish. If you want to know more about performance upgrades was can speak on another thread about it, I'm working my way through it all..:)

I may wander up to Bedford next sat (assume you mean 21st and not today). Would be nice to catch up...D
R1200GS - 'El Bastardo' - The Exploder.

R1100S BCR - 'Flashart the Misguided Missile'.

KTM 990SMT- 'Scratch' - Hoonery Assured.

www.bmrider.com - The cobbled part of the information superhighway.

User avatar France
buzzz90

Postby buzzz90 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:32 am

A few news about the project.

After some testing with different assemblies, I have finally abandoned the light dimming (increases the size of the module, not reliable,...).
I have looked for another solution for a long time.
I have tried to find a back-lit reverse LCD, but haven't been able to find one that would fit.
Then I have googled about light filtering and have finally found what I was looking for : light polarization.

The solution is to use a high intensity display, with a polarizing filter on the top.

In the meantime, I wanted to integrate the display a little bit more. I knew, that cutting a window in the instrument block was a brake for many.
Therefore, I have tried to make the indicator mod fully reversible (at least visually). Going from the idea of a german fellow, I have integrated the indicator in the neutral window, instead of the neutral. I personally think, that the indicator and the neutral lamp do double job ; when you're on neutral, the indicator shows 0.
I will post pictures later today. If some of you are interested, I might launch the production of a new set of indicators.

eyore

Postby eyore » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:24 am

Another good reason to own an R12S :bounce:
2009 Triumph Speed Triple
2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

User avatar France
buzzz90

Postby buzzz90 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:38 am

:P

User avatar France
buzzz90

Postby buzzz90 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:57 pm

And here are the pictures.
2 with low ambient light :
Image Image

And one with the flash, to show, that it's still visible with a high intensity light.

User avatar South Africa
tanneman

Postby tanneman » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:59 am

That is very neat Buzzz.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

User avatar France
buzzz90

Postby buzzz90 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:52 pm

Hi Gents.

I'm about to launch a new serie of kits, based on my last progress.
These kits will be 90% plug and play and would require no soldering skills.
They would only require you to cut some of the white plastic from the cockpit enclosure (less than 0.1 inch², that are invisible once the cockpit is closed), drill a few holes for the wiring, and crimp a few connectors (that would be supplied) to connect kit to your gearbox switch.
I will give more details later, but for now, I would need to know exactly how many people are interested in buying a kit.

The price would be £42, including the shipping costs.

Please add you name to a list from this post, with the quantity of kits you would like.

PS : the kit doesn't include the gearbox switch. You still have to buy this part yourself

Return to “Boxerspex”