Fool rushing in... on bike mods....

As it says; what you've done to your bike and how it helped make it better.

Moderators: Paul, slparry, Gromit

EenyBear

Fool rushing in... on bike mods....

Postby EenyBear » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:47 am

Interesting discussions throughout this site regarding modifications to sport bikes. Some riders make mods, others either applaud (exhaust, clear lenses, 190 tires, etc.) or criticize (bars especially). Fair enough. But it strikes me....

In my bicycle world, I think nothing of swapping out 42cm bars for 44cm bars or using a 100mm stem instead of a 110mm stem or moving the saddle back and forth or choosing 175mm cranks over 172.5mm. It's all about making the bicycle fit me, not me having to fit the bicycle. In fact, for the serious cyclist, it is common and near-mandatory to have your bicycle fitted.

Does that philosophy translate well to motorcycles? What do you think?

I don't subscribe to the view that the "factory version" of my sports bike is the version I should be obligated to ride. I had no problem with my recent decision to add Heli bars to my R12S. For me, the wider stance already feels better and inspires greater confidence in steering - can't wait to try it in the twisties this weekend.

I seriously suspect the only thing standing between a rider and a properly fitted motorcycle is the cost of the bits and pieces necessary to make the adaptation and the knowledge of what a fitted bike should feel like. Too bad... a properly fitted bike would make a more efficient rider. At least BMW offers different seat heights on some models. Pity they don't offer bar options and peg options and the dealer training necessary to fit the rider properly. The seat and the bars and the pegs are really the only three areas that provide an opportunity to change ergonomics. After all, the motorcycle otherwise only comes in one size, unlike a bicycle frame.

Having said all that, I'm not about to install some ape-hanger bars, chopper forks, and highway pegs. But you might. And if I see an S-bike equipped thusly, I promise I'll try not to laugh.

Cheers,
Ian
2007 R1200S... a few mods to be seen at http://www.stocklogic.com/R1200S/
'91 Ducati 907ie (sold to a happy lad)
'79 Kawasaki KZ1300 (RIP, reborn as someone else's drag bike)

throttlemeister

Postby throttlemeister » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:41 am

I agree with you. To a point.

I mean, if you go about mounting a superbike handlebar conversion kit on a supersport bike, it is my opinion you should have bought a different bike to start with. Staying with BMW, instead of the R12S, you would have been better of starting with for instance the R12R.

Making these kind of extreme changes to the bike ergonomics is like buying an expensive tour-de-france racing bicycle and putting on fat rims, nobby tires and flat bars to try and turn it into a cross country bike. It's stupid.

There is making a bike fit, and there is changing the bikes characteristics. If you can't deal with the knees in your armpits flat on the tank seating position of a sportbike, don't buy one. Buy something that is a closer fit to what you want or need, instead of trying to make a bike into something it is not.

The basics have to be right. You should be fine tuning, not changing.
Gijs

BMW R1100S | homepage | gallery
BMW K1200S 'tri-color ICBM' | ABS/ESA

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:01 am

I absolutely agree with EenyBear on this one. It's not about changing the characteristics of a bike, it's about adjusting the ergonomics.

Sure you can go down the route of hyperbole to criticise, but it's a ridiculous argument.

I fitted Helibars to my R12S, does that now make it an R12R with a bikini fairing? Like hell it does. It makes it an R12S with a bar-reach that fits my particular body shape slightly better.

The best selling BMW in the UK (if not all of Europe) is the R1200GS, and yet 99.9% (at a guess) of owners never take one off road. Surely, by your argument, they should all be buying R1200R's or R1200RT's ?
In hiatus from motorcycles.

throttlemeister

Postby throttlemeister » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:07 am

Please point out where I said anything on USE? Hint: nowhere.

And in case you didn't know, a superbike conversion kit is a world apart from a set of helibars. No need to get your pants in a twist. Helibars allow you to tune your position to your liking, superbike conversion changes the bike.

Don't be so uptight and easily offended, and read what I am saying.
Gijs

BMW R1100S | homepage | gallery
BMW K1200S 'tri-color ICBM' | ABS/ESA

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:14 am

I'm not in the least offended, don't get on your high horse.

You didn't say anything about use, but the principal is the same. If you are so offended by people modifying bikes to suit themselves, then surely you must be equally offended by people buying off-road bike for touring on?

If you want to be so particular about semantics, EenyBear didn't write anything about superbike handlebar conversions kits in his post. That was my point about hyperbole.

In any case, I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone could get as offended as you appear to get about people buying a particular bike and modifying it to suit themselves. It's their bike. Nobody will force you to buy it, ride it or even look at it. What's the problem?

hirsty

Postby hirsty » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:20 am

I think you are in violent agreement here, un-bunch your panties here ladies.

Key phrase being: "There is making a bike fit, and there is changing the bikes characteristics."

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:24 am

hirsty wrote:I think you are in violent agreement here, un-bunch your panties here ladies.

Key phrase being: "There is making a bike fit, and there is changing the bikes characteristics."

Only to a certain extent. I certainly wouldn't go down the route of modifying my bike to the point that it drastically changed it's characteristics, except for obvious performance improvements, but I don't really see what morale authority any individual has to criticize anyone who does. We are all free to make our own errors of judgement.

toby

fools rushing in

Postby toby » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:22 pm

OK as someone who has put a superbike conversion on please explain to me what is so dreadful.

Wanted a BMW, too short ar--d to go the Ewan look alike route, didn't want the bulk of a "full" tourer.

An old bike injury makes low bars painful (I tried again before changing).

I have now got the perfect compromise,is it my problem BMW didn't think of it,I can't be alone otherwise no-one would make the kits.

If it is only that I offend the fashion police I can live with that.

bcr_rep05

Postby bcr_rep05 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:22 pm

Anybody got any pics of the handlebar conversions ?
On my last bike (a Triumph Sprint RS), I took off the clip-ons and put on
a set of Superbike bars. The bike felt perfect to me after that.
I'd be interested to see what they look like on an R1100S.
1974 BMW R60/5 "Toaster"

1982 BMW R100

winger

Re: Fool rushing in... on bike mods....

Postby winger » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:00 pm

EenyBear wrote:Interesting discussions throughout this site regarding modifications to sport bikes. Some riders make mods, others either applaud (exhaust, clear lenses, 190 tires, etc.) or criticize (bars especially). Fair enough. But it strikes me....

In my bicycle world, I think nothing of swapping out 42cm bars for 44cm bars or using a 100mm stem instead of a 110mm stem or moving the saddle back and forth or choosing 175mm cranks over 172.5mm. It's all about making the bicycle fit me, not me having to fit the bicycle. In fact, for the serious cyclist, it is common and near-mandatory to have your bicycle fitted.

Does that philosophy translate well to motorcycles? What do you think?

I don't subscribe to the view that the "factory version" of my sports bike is the version I should be obligated to ride. I had no problem with my recent decision to add Heli bars to my R12S. For me, the wider stance already feels better and inspires greater confidence in steering - can't wait to try it in the twisties this weekend.

I seriously suspect the only thing standing between a rider and a properly fitted motorcycle is the cost of the bits and pieces necessary to make the adaptation and the knowledge of what a fitted bike should feel like. Too bad... a properly fitted bike would make a more efficient rider. At least BMW offers different seat heights on some models. Pity they don't offer bar options and peg options and the dealer training necessary to fit the rider properly. The seat and the bars and the pegs are really the only three areas that provide an opportunity to change ergonomics. After all, the motorcycle otherwise only comes in one size, unlike a bicycle frame.

Having said all that, I'm not about to install some ape-hanger bars, chopper forks, and highway pegs. But you might. And if I see an S-bike equipped thusly, I promise I'll try not to laugh.

Cheers,
Ian

Yep i'll go along with that to the letter,what i find interesting is how people chop and change bikes trying to find the holy grail,when the reality is their just jumping from one stock mass produced bike to another in the hope it'll do then job,instead of sitting down and working out what they really need and how to get it,when i bought my S 8 years ago,it would not be an understatement to say i hated it with a passion,i vividly remember riding off down the road thinking what a heap of junk,but i knew it was the basis for a decent bike,just cost me more than i thought :roll:

toby

Fools rushing in

Postby toby » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:35 pm

Just took some - not brilliant photos of the Schnitzer conversion on my ST.

First time I've tried to post pics to a forum so there may be an abject failure!!!
[imgImage
[img][img]http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp181/cooilbanetoby/th_DSC_0147.jpg[/img]
[/img]Image

No just some layout problems! Epic thanks to IT for his post

Great Britain
Steve h

Postby Steve h » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:05 pm

If you buy a pair of jeans.
And there to long in the leg slightly big on the waist,
You take them up and wear a belt,
Same jeans just altered to fit you,
Now't wrong in that.

Steve
Back on a Boxer

User avatar Great Britain
Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:14 am

Steve h wrote:If you buy a pair of jeans.
And there to long in the leg slightly big on the waist,
You take them up and wear a belt,
Same jeans just altered to fit you,
Now't wrong in that.

Steve

....or you could have bought a smaller, shorter pair in the first place :wink:
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

JOE

Postby JOE » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:40 pm

well I built a chop out of (mainly) a Suzuki teapot (gsxf) - does that mean i should've bought a cruiser? :roll: :lol:

plus once I start to modify a bike (this 11s is the only standard bike I've had but I've only had it a couple of weeks) it makes it feel like it's mine. Just wait 'til i crash it :twisted:
Me's body is brokeded!

Great Britain
box-doctor

Postby box-doctor » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:05 pm

I bought my R1100s without even sitting on one (I am impulsive like that), the guy I bought it from couldn't understand why I had done this when my then current bike was a H4nda CBR600F - truth be told the CBR was a great bike, but I was about a foot too tall for it & about 20 years worth of accidents etc... had taken their toll, & after taking advice from people who know considerably more about bikes than I do the 11s seemed the right choice. Now second time out on it the wife & I went to Matlock, & got talking straight away to a guy with an 11s, who explained about all the mods he had carried out to his bike. When we had finished talking to this guy we walked off & I said to my wife "he's obviously bought the wrong bike" ...... I have since carried out a lot of mods to my bike including: lowered footpegs, bars above top yolk & a different screen - all of which make the bike "fit me"

I would agree wholy with EenyBear.

Just my opinion - Neil. :lol:
2004 Boxer Cup.
1990 V.W. Golf Mk2 Driver auto.
1992 V.W. Golf Mk2 van with 3.0 VR6 & custom 1 off 6 speed gearbox.
1990 V.W. Golf Mk1 cabrio.
1989 BMW 318i auto coupe.
Honda Civic Type R with Jackson Racing supercharger.
BMW E34 530 V8 sport auto.

Return to “Boxerspex”